I need some serious help here...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
I searched but couldnt really find a solution...when I got my mac about a month and a half ago I took all of my sogs from my iPod and moved them to the mac unfortunately it copied everythign so I'm using twice the psace and its about 30G worth so basically I really only have 30G worth but its taking up 60G which is just insane how do I get rid of the duplicates?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
No offense, I'm sure you're worried about this and it's making you feel stressed, but I can't understand in the least what you're talking about.

Periods, commas, sentences, etc. will help us help you.

OP
The Turtle!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
wow sorry lol I typed this up in a hurry.

Well basically what my problem is that I want to get rid of the copes iTunes made of every single .mp3 file I have when it transferred over, which happens to be about 30G worth SO now it's taking up 60G worth.

So I need to know how do I delete these copies and free up the 30G of space it's wasting.

Clear enough? :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
When you highlight your music libary at the top, does
View | Show Duplicates
make them appear?
screenshot1500230703291wn0.jpg

OP
The Turtle!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
View | Show Duplicates
make them appear?

I've tried that...my problem is that theyre stored in iTunes music folder and somewhere else i guess and they dont show up as duplicates and i used *i forget the name of the program* to check how much space my .mp3s were taking up and it was EXACTLY double what I had transferred over

Reaction score
I would suspect the program you used to check was faulty or the program you used to download the songs off your iPod made a copy. iTunes keeps one copy of the files in its library and one only. So if you aren't seeing duplicates in iTunes then iTunes is not the issue.

What did you use to get the songs off the iPod?

OP
The Turtle!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
I basically just used it as a harddrive and brought them into iTunes

Reaction score
Have you tried just doing a search for these mystery files?

In Linux (sorry I"m a switcher still learning the Apple commands) I would use find and tell it I wanted a listing of all MP3s. See where it shows them.

I'm sure Apple's finder will do the same. Just search for MP3s.

Reaction score
if you use spotlight and search for ".mp3" that should do it. view them in the spotlight window and check where they are stored. or even order them by name and you see if you have 2 of each.
I doubt iTunes makes copies of all of the songs - never heard of that phenomenon

M

MacHeadCase

Once you find one duplicate, there's a good chance all other duplicates are in the same folder along with it. Just search your hard drive for one of songs and I bet it'll be easy peasy from there.

OP
The Turtle!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
ok so i double checked with Disk Inventory X and it seems its all in something called iSyncTunes but its like wierd little files...im lost here...what are all of these strange little mp3 files if you look at the blue area its the bottom half of the blue...

heres a screen shot of it...

Picture1.png

can I get rid of all these puppies safely?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
ok so i double checked with Disk Inventory X and it seems its all in something called iSyncTunes but its like wierd little files...im lost here...what are all of these strange little mp3 files if you look at the blue area its the bottom half of the blue...

heres a screen shot of it...

Picture1.png

can I get rid of all these puppies safely?
the "iPod Control" files are mirrors of the iPod's drive.
The iPod has a hidden directory structure and the iPod Control directory is where all the songs are stored.
I'd say you can delete those, since they're on your Mac's hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
View | Show Duplicates
make them appear?

I know this is an old topic, but this is a GREAT TIP. You just saved me 1.1 GB

+ Rep!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.