I need help!...please

Reaction score
a while ago i had my laptop stolen, luckily i had an external hard drive that i had used as time machine, so all was backed up.
when i got a new macbook, i was asked by migration assistant if i wanted to transfer files...YES PLEASE!!!...which i did, and it even asked me if i wanted to have my new laptop look like my stolen one....YES PLEASE!!!...which it did, everything was perfect, all my emails, photos, music, my internet settings,applications..EVERYTHING!
my desktop was exactly as it was on the stolen laptop

now i have another laptop (Macbook pro) and i wish to do the same, i go thru migration assistant and do as i am told, and transfer all the info from the aforesaid external hard drive....but, nothing appears to be installed on the new laptop properly...i think it is on the hard drive, but not on the desktop with icons etc like before...can you tell me why???..

I have repeated the process a couple of times and I am getting angry that it is not working like before...
i am at the stage, where i would like to do a clean start and restore this new laptop to factory settings...is this possible?????...can you tell me how??

...this is all new to me so please forgive my ignorance.

the new laptop came with 2 discs 1 OSX install disc and 1 Applications disc.

any help would be really appreciated.

I think i would really like clean off all i have done so far...how do i do this?...i dont want to muck anything up.

Cheers.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Nothing to do with the MacWorld 2010 Expo, moving appropriately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I don't know why this is happening, I just wanted to give you a tip for posting in the future. Begging for help in the thread title will not get you help as quickly as it might if you were more specific. A lot of people just scroll right past threads that say "Help please!!!" A title like "Major migration problem" or something will catch the eye of someone who might be able to give you an answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
a while ago i had my laptop stolen, luckily i had an external hard drive that i had used as time machine, so all was backed up.
when i got a new macbook, i was asked by migration assistant if i wanted to transfer files...YES PLEASE!!!...which i did, and it even asked me if i wanted to have my new laptop look like my stolen one....YES PLEASE!!!...which it did, everything was perfect, all my emails, photos, music, my internet settings,applications..EVERYTHING!

now i have another laptop (Macbook pro) and i wish to do the same, i go thru migration assistant and do as i am told, and transfer all the info from the aforesaid external hard drive....but, nothing appears to be installed on the new laptop properly...i think it is on the hard drive, but not on the desktop with icons etc like before...can you tell me why???..

I have repeated the process a couple of times and I am getting angry that it is not working like before...
i am at the stage, where i would like to do a clean start and restore this new laptop to factory settings...is this possible?????...can you tell me how??

I think i would really like clean off all i have done so far...how do i do this?...i dont want to muck anything up.

Cheers.

I couldn't tell you why the migration assistant is behaving differently than before. Unless MAYBE your older attempt was with Leopard 10.5 and now your new Mac is Snow Leopard 10.6??? Just a stab in the dark... But that might not even be an issue.

Anyways, if you want to restore your new Mac to factory settings, just follow this youtube video.
YouTube - Macbook Pro 15" Harddrive Replacement Procedure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

Cheers.

I couldn't tell you why the migration assistant is behaving differently than before. Unless MAYBE your older attempt was with Leopard 10.5 and now your new Mac is Snow Leopard 10.6??? Just a stab in the dark... But even that might not even be an issue. I couldn't say for sure.

Anyways, if you want to restore your new Mac to factory settings, just follow this youtube video.
YouTube - Macbook Pro 15" Harddrive Replacement Procedure

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.