I need help controlling PTZ camera from a MBP

Reaction score
Hi,

The organization I volunteer at does some audio and video recording. Up until now, we've been using a a basic webcam mounted on a full-size tripod. It works fine, but it's bulky, and manual panning is time-consuming (especially when I have other things to do at the same time, that is). So, someone at the organization suggested we purchase a PTZ camera, and suggested this Tenveo NV10U, which we ended up getting (note, the link is to the 20x zoom version, but we ended up buying the 10x version).

The Tenveo PTZ arrived, and we hooked it up. Photo Booth recognizes the camera, and it works fine, but, so far, the only way to control it (ie. pan, tilt, and zoom), is via the remote control that came with it. The remote control works, but not from where I'm sitting (which is around a corner from where the camera is located). What we're looking for is a way to control the camera from our MBP (2020, M1 model), but the camera did not come with any software (or a link to any software) allowing us to do so, and I haven't been able to find any.

So, I'm wondering what I can do to control the camera without having to use the remote control. Is there a software driver for the camera that I can use? Perhaps a generic one that will work with this camera? Or should we consider a camera "joystick" controller? Ideally, we'd like to control the camera directly from the laptop, but, like I said, Photo Booth doesn't seem to give us that option. Are there other software applications that can do that? The link to the camera that I posted says it's compatible with Zoom, but I don't know if Zoom a) allows you to record and save the file (which we then edit), and/or allow us to "feed" the audio to the recorded file (which, I note, is a multi-track audio file that we will also be mixing and mastering after the recording is completed).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There is a Client software listed on the download page for this manufacturer. Download it and see if it will give you control of the camera. If not, then your choices are to be within IR sight of the camera for the remote to work or go with the separate controller.

OP
B
Reaction score
There is a Client software listed on the download page for this manufacturer. Download it and see if it will give you control of the camera. If not, then your choices are to be within IR sight of the camera for the remote to work or go with the separate controller.
Thanks for that!

I downloaded the software (which seems to be generic, and not specific to the camera we got), but the file format is a ".rar" file, which, when I try to open it, leads to a notice that "there is no application set to open the document". The options are to "Search the App Store" or "Choose Application".

Do you know what kind of application is needed to open this type of file?

To reiterate, we're using a 2020 M1 MBP.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This will take care of the RAR file..

OP
B
Reaction score
This will take care of the RAR file..

I found that app soon after I replied to your previous post.

I downloaded it from the App Store and then unzipped the Client Software, but, unfortunately, it's only made Android, Windows and iOS platforms... nothing for OS.

Oh, well.

Thanks, anyway.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's very unfortunate. In that case, you're stuck with using the remote or the controller for extra cost it seems.

OP
B
Reaction score
That's very unfortunate. In that case, you're stuck with using the remote or the controller for extra cost it seems.
I found out that the camera can be controlled through Zoom, but I won't have access in order to find out until Wednesday.

Even so, I'll have to see if Zoom allows for independent audio and video feeds, and also if it records to the hard drive for further editing. If so, all good. If not, yeah, you're probably right.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm pretty sure Zoom allows for recording of the conference to the local hard drive. I think the audio and video feeds can be separate but I haven't confirmed that.

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found out that the camera can be controlled through Zoom, but I won't have access in order to find out until Wednesday.

Even so, I'll have to see if Zoom allows for independent audio and video feeds, and also if it records to the hard drive for further editing. If so, all good. If not, yeah, you're probably right.
Without additional software support, I'd find it hard to believe that Zoom would be able to control the physical aspects of the camera, but do try it out and let us know.

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Zoom allows for recording of the conference to the local hard drive. I think the audio and video feeds can be separate but I haven't confirmed that.
Yes they do, all of which can be set from the Preferences window.

Without additional software support, I'd find it hard to believe that Zoom would be able to control the physical aspects of the camera, but do try it out and let us know.
And, you're right. Zoom does not allow you to control the camera.

So, we're at a bit of an impasse here while we try to sort it out. Trying to find the most economical solution to our issue, a member of the organization bought an 8 1/2" convex mirror, hoping it would reflect the IR signal from the remote control to the camera, but that doesn't work.

Our next option is to consider buying and IR Extender/Reflector for the remote control, but we don't know how effective they are or how to set one up. Any ideas?

Another option I found is free software called PTZ optics. I registered with the website, and downloaded the software, but it wouldn't open (when I try to open it, I receive a warning message saying the app "cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified"). Has anyone tried this app? Does it work?

If those don't work, are next option is to consider a keyboard controller. But, again, we don't know how those connect to the laptop and the camera. As it stands, our camera is connected to our laptop via a 75' USB cable that an electrician ran through the walls from the camera to the desk where the laptop is located. Would another wire have to be run in order to use a keyboard controller?

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help so far. Our issue's a bit frustrating, but I'm sure we'll figure it out (with all of your help, of course).

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another option I found is free software called PTZ optics. I registered with the website, and downloaded the software, but it wouldn't open (when I try to open it, I receive a warning message saying the app "cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified"). Has anyone tried this app? Does it work?
Once you launch the app and get that message, you can go to Sys Prefs->Security & Privacy and on the General tab, there'll be a note saying "<app> was blocked.." and have a button called Open Anyway. The choice is yours to do so and doing so will not give you that prompt ever again.

Apple has forced developers to at least register themselves so you get some level of assurance that they aren't bad actors, but some developers don't do it.

If those don't work, are next option is to consider a keyboard controller. But, again, we don't know how those connect to the laptop and the camera. As it stands, our camera is connected to our laptop via a 75' USB cable that an electrician ran through the walls from the camera to the desk where the laptop is located. Would another wire have to be run in order to use a keyboard controller?
I imagine the controller goes between the camera and the hardware with a USB cable. With your 75' cable, you might want to plug in USB hubs on either end. That way you can plug two cables into the camera, one for the computer and the other the controller. If that 75' cable is working for the camera right now, it might work for the controller as well.

However, from experience I know that after a certain distance you're dealing with lot of signal loss and need a repeater inline to ensure that the signal gets across. I had to do this with a gaming wheel for my console that was going to be about 20' away. I initially had a 24' regular USB cable that didn't work, and then switched to a 24' cable with a repeater and the wheel came to life.

OP
B
Reaction score
Once you launch the app and get that message, you can go to Sys Prefs->Security & Privacy and on the General tab, there'll be a note saying "<app> was blocked.." and have a button called Open Anyway. The choice is yours to do so and doing so will not give you that prompt ever again.

Apple has forced developers to at least register themselves so you get some level of assurance that they aren't bad actors, but some developers don't do it.
Good to know. Thanks.
I imagine the controller goes between the camera and the hardware with a USB cable. With your 75' cable, you might want to plug in USB hubs on either end. That way you can plug two cables into the camera, one for the computer and the other the controller. If that 75' cable is working for the camera right now, it might work for the controller as well.

However, from experience I know that after a certain distance you're dealing with lot of signal loss and need a repeater inline to ensure that the signal gets across. I had to do this with a gaming wheel for my console that was going to be about 20' away. I initially had a 24' regular USB cable that didn't work, and then switched to a 24' cable with a repeater and the wheel came to life.
If we have to go this route, I think we'll be ok. If I'm not mistaken, the USB cable has a "repeater" already built it/connected to it; if it doesn't, it don't think it'll be a problem, because the camera does work with little to no lag (provided, of course, the remote control is aimed directly at it).

Thanks, again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.