I need advice on transferring 100+ Personal Folders from Apple Mail to Outlook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Just curious, Patrick. What does TM not backup?

Sorry Jake, I think I may be getting confused with the older iTunes iOS backup or whatever and all the applications not being included.

Anyway, an iMazing.app BackUp apparently gets rid of that problem with iOS. ;-)

For any MacOS Clone BackUp, I stick with using Multiple bootable clones using CCC.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Ok, Patrick. Both iTunes and iMazing do the restore the same way--your data is restored but the apps are reinstalled. I used iMazing because it claimed to have the apps backed up, but in fact it did a reinstallation, not a restore of them for me. As a result, I've given up on iMazing and gone back to using Finder backup in Catalina. No real benefit from iMazing, which is sad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, Patrick. Both iTunes and iMazing do the restore the same way--your data is restored but the apps are reinstalled.

Not quite true in my case Jake, but then again I'm using older versions and older OSs.

In the recent Migration I did with my wife's newer (to her) IPad Air 2, several of the applications did not get reinstalled as they are no longer in the Apple Store.

I was however able to salvage them and get them installed using iMazing and its BackUp.

It seems it's getting harder and harder to keep up as to what is happening with one's BackUp and the various applications used and all the various OS changes.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Patrick, in the fine print here: Export, backup and transfer iOS Apps’ Data and Settings

iMazing states that if the app is not installed on the device, it is reinstalled. Here is the appropriate section from that page:

If some of the apps you are restoring are not installed on the target device, iMazing may ask you to sign into the App Store so it can download them. Enter your password in the dialog, then click Sign In.
If iMazing needs to download apps, it may take a while, depending on your bandwidth and the size of the app. iMazing also has to restart your iPhone or iPad, and this may take a few minutes. Please be patient.
When I used iMazing to try to restore an iPhone, it had to download and install every app because none of them were installed on the target device (because it was reset to factory settings). So iMazing CAN restore the app data, but it reinstalls the app. Just like iTunes or now Finder. So the one benefit of iMazing is that it does not delete old backups, creating a hierarchy of backups somewhat like Time Machine. But unlike TM, those backups don't have links, so they can take up a ton of storage. Found out that the hard way, too.

So, for now, iMazing is retired. Maybe if they get it right I'll go back, but that's looking kind of unlikely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMazing states that if the app is not installed on the device, it is reinstalled.

In my case it certainly doesn't get recovered or reinstalled from the App Store if the app no longer exists there.

Luckily, the iMazing.app BackUp I had created kept everything together.

As I said, I'm using older OS versions maybe not the latest iMazing/app.

- Patrick
======

OP
BudVitoff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 iMac 21.5; 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Mojave.
OUCH! Randy, you sure know how to hurt a guy! FWIW, I am backing up to an external drive as well as to the cloud.

So, if we keep the discussion down to a minimum, what is the ONE backup system that you would recommend above all others?

BTW, I'll pass your comments on to CrashPlan, just to see what they have to say about this.

Thanks for your expertise on this matter, but...

This thread started out with my search for a method of migrating from Apple Mail to Outlook for Mac 2019. What's your opinion about Emailchemy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This thread started out with my search for a method of migrating from Apple Mail to Outlook for Mac 2019. What's your opinion about Emailchemy?

I'm not Randy, but Emailchemy was the only application that would work with most emails correctly And completely when I used it last for various friends etc. ie: It kept proper dates, Read or not, Attachments etc.

You can read some user comments here:
Emailchemy
Emailchemy for Mac - Free Download Version 14.3.2 | MacUpdate

It seems expensive, but it's a fraction of the price of having someone else do it for you.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
So, if we keep the discussion down to a minimum, what is the ONE backup system that you would recommend above all others?

I pretty much cover it on this Web site of mine:

Upgrading To The Very Latest Macintosh Operating System
Item #7

But in general I DON'T recommend ONE backup system over all others. I recommend that you have a multi-tiered backup system. I can't tell you how many times I've heard from users who have told me that their internal hard drive died, but they thought that they were fine because they had a backup. But they went to use their backup and for one reason or another they found that their backup was hosed.

The backup plan you use has to be designed by YOU, because everyone works differently, has different levels of importance for their data, and has different needs. Someone who is just a hobbyist might be fine with a single clone backup. A more serious user might be fine with both a clone backup and a versioned backup. For attorneys I often recommend a three tier backup plan with a clone, a versioned backup, and a third backup of just your workproduct (i.e. just your Documents folder) to a large capacity flash drive that you always carry with you as an off-site fail-safe for after working hours.

If you really like the advantages of a cloud backup service, a personal cloud server that you set up off-site somewhere might offer even more advantages than a commercial service.
<https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/cloud-storage/wd-my-cloud-home#WDBVXC0020HWT-NESN>

OP
BudVitoff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

All's well that ends well ... almost. The following is my most recent entry to a conversation with the Emailchemy group.

I apologize for the panic I displayed in the last post. In fact, at this moment, I have both Apple Mail and Outlook running side-by-side simultaneously on my screen. The bodies of both sides are identical, so that's good. There's two problems remaining. One of them is easy, in that Outlook categorizes the sidebar differently from Apple, but it's not wrong in any way, so I'll just have to get used to it.

The other problem is more serious. The 100+ personal folders referred to in my previous post still reside in the Apple version only, and not in the Outlook version. That doesn't surprise me, because I suspect that it has something to do with the fact that unlike the other IMAP accounts, these reside only in the client and not at the server. I don't know for sure.

In any event, my question is simple: Does Emailchemy have the ability to move those "mailboxes" over to Outlook for me, or do I have to do it myself? Since they're side by side on my screen, it should be a copy/paste or an export/import venture -- not difficult, just time-consuming.

OP
BudVitoff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The following is CrashPlan's latest (and clearly the last) reply to this thread. I think it's fair to say that both sides are in agreement about how to "feed the computers" -- which is what people called it when I started my programming career in 1957 -- but mistakes and mis-statements are inevitable. I particularly hope that you at least take the second link, for two reasons: 1) they do know about metadata, and 2) the documentation style they use seems to be prevalent throughout the CrashPlan system, and I have a great respect for that, as I noted in my post #7: Design, performance, support, and documentation.

Hi Bud,

Thanks for your reply.

While we appreciate you going to bat with some of these people on these forums, that's not really what support is here to do. We are here to resolve our customers technical issues when they arise. Any debating that may happen outside of our support desk is not something our company is really wanting to get into the weeds with. CrashPlan and its backup engine have been around since 2001, so we're verging on being a 20 year old data security/backup and recovery program. We have learned a lot of things along the way, and our program is designed to do some things very well. All I can say is that CrashPlan for Small Business has its advantages, just like other backup programs do.

From all that writing, I will tell you he is right about a couple things. First, he is right about the local backups. We strongly believe you shouldn't rely on a single destination for backup, even our cloud. That’s why CrashPlan gives you the ability to back up to local destinations, and is why we recommend you back up to both onsite and offsite destinations. Second, the internet is indeed usually the biggest bottleneck for backup programs, which is just more of a reason to have local backups like you do. Even if you happen to have a very fast internet connection, it is unlikely that backups to our cloud will be able to match your upload limit.

If you'd like, you can take a look at this article from our support site for more information about the process that CrashPlan uses to back up your files:

How backup works - Code42 Support
Here is an article about what sorts of supported metadata we back up, if that piqued your interest as well:

Supported metadata - Code42 Support

If there's anything that you need technical assistance with regarding your backups or restores, please let me know. If there is no technical issue that you're running into at this time, I'm going to consider this ticket solved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If there is no technical issue that you're running into at this time, I'm going to consider this ticket solved.

Amen.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
From all that writing, I will tell you he is right about a couple things. First, he is right about the local backups. We strongly believe you shouldn't rely on a single destination for backup, even our cloud. That’s why CrashPlan gives you the ability to back up to local destinations, and is why we recommend you back up to both onsite and offsite destinations. Second, the internet is indeed usually the biggest bottleneck for backup programs...

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the "he" is me.

But we don't disagree.

I don't recommend cloud-based backups because the Internet is a huge bottleneck, and the CrashPlan folks agree that it is. Best to avoid that bottleneck completely.

I also think that local backups are the way to go, and the CrashPlan folks agree with that too. The only place where we disagree on that is that they want you to use their service to create local backups. I think that there are much better apps for creating local backups. In fact, I think that it would be beneficial to have more than one type of local backup if your data is really valuable/important.

I'm glad that we can all agree with the above.

I don't know if folks know that CrashPlan sent out an email indicating they are abandoning the consumer (as opposed to business) market not too long ago. So for most users, discussion about CrashPlan as a backup option has become moot.

The WireCutter now recommends BackBlaze if you want a cloud-based backup service:

The Best Online Cloud Backup Service | Reviews by Wirecutter

But like CrashPlan, BackBlaze does a horrible job with metadata. From the above cited Web site:

"Backblaze isn’t great at keeping metadata intact. (I looked into this topic in my tests of Backblaze after a reader inquiry, but I did not test the other apps in this review for metadata support.) Metadata includes such details as file ownership and permissions, creation date, and (for Mac owners) Finder tags and comments. Some people, and some apps they use, depend heavily on metadata, while others are barely aware of its existence. But, fair warning: If metadata integrity is essential to you, Backblaze is not your friend. In my tests, the only type of metadata Backblaze reliably restored was the resource forks found in certain Mac files. This is the sort of thing you should test for yourself with any cloud backup service, before making a commitment, by running a free trial version."

I agree. Mac users need to be extremely careful in their choice(s) of backup software/services. Poor choices can turn a really bad situation (your main hard drive dying) into an even worse one, or a catastrophe.

OP
BudVitoff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Randy,

Thanks for all the info. You've certainly given me some stuff to think about.

OTOH, it's amazing how these posts can take a detour from the original post. I didn't want to talk about backup. All I wanted to do was find a good way to transfer my personal folders from Apple Mail to Outlook. Nothing else!

I'm kind of glad that it took this long, though, because it finally occurred to me last night that I don't have to keep those 100+ folders in my email package. I'm hoping that I would have no trouble if I changed their residence to someplace outside of the mail client boundaries and all its restrictions. (I just now took a look, and it may be a messy venture, but I have plenty of time.)

To quote Patrick: Amen

and remember to wash your hands. ;D

Reaction score
OTOH, it's amazing how these posts can take a detour from the original post. I didn't want to talk about backup. All I wanted to do was find a good way to transfer my personal folders from Apple Mail to Outlook. Nothing else!

And I told you how to do it with the second post in this thread. Have you even tried the free demo of Emailchemy? I've never heard of it failing.

If you have problems getting Emailchemy to do what you want to do, I'm sure that the developer would be happy to assist you. No one knows more about how to transfer mail from one program to another than they do.

OP
BudVitoff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Randy,

Yes, I bought and used Emailchemy and they did everything right for me except for one thing. Last night I received an email from them telling me how to handle that remaining item (in this thread's subject line) and it looks easy enough, so I think I'm in good hands.

Thank you for providing the reference to the one organization that could do exactly what I needed done.

And don't forget to wash your hands. :)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Bud, how about giving Randy a thumbs up for his help.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bud, how about giving Randy a thumbs up for his help.

Ian

+1. I agree!!!

But it appears that one doesn't get any more credit than a maximum of 11 green circle credits showing.

Maybe that's the maximum allowed and you have earned the same, but probably more earned and deserving than what is showing!!!

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Maybe that's the maximum allowed and you have earned the same, but probably more earned and deserving than what is showing!!!

It's based on a secret formula Patrick. We keep it close hold the same way the Coca Cola folks keep their special formula. :rofl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's based on a secret formula Patrick. We keep it close hold the same way the Coca Cola folks keep their special formula. :rofl

:app :laugh
You mean like this???

Is This the Secret Coke Recipe? - ABC News

BTW: when you get to the WD-40 part, they make a very bad generalized misinformation statement.
In actual fact, WD-40 isn't actually a true lubricant. WD stands for "water displacing" and its main use is as a solvent or rust dissolver.

The 40 in its name represents the inventor's trial number when creating the product.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.