I-Mac's version of My Computer

Reaction score
TOTALLY new to MAC..... so my very dumb question: Where is the icon that shows me where my hard drives and thumb drives are, such as in My Computer on the PC. All the tutorials and forums say "click on computer in finder" ... or "click on go" at the title bar..... but nothing like a My Computer is listed in any of those places. I simply want to safely eject a thumb drive for pete's sake! I know to right click the drive to eject....once I find it.... but I can't get it to display in Finder or elsewhere....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open your Finder. Click on "Finder" from the very top menu. Now select preferences and click on the "General" tab. Place a check in the boxes that say "Hard Disks", "External Disks". From now on your "Macintosh HD" (that's your internal hard drive) will show up on your desktop. Additionally, whenever you plug in a USB external drive or flash drive, it will show up on your desktop. You can also select to show any external CD drives you have on the desktop.

Something else to check: From the same Finder menu preferences, click on the tab that says "Sidebar". Now you can select those items you wish to appear in your Finder sidebar for easy access.

Later on when you become more proficient in using your Mac you might want to install a third party add on to the Finder. There are several which will enhance its ease of use and navigating in OS X. If you have any more questions, post back.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the quick response! I knew it was likely pretty simple but after spending an extended period looking....and getting more frustrated by the minute....decided it was good to ask. Just HAVE to get some one-on-ones scheduled at Apple! *smile*

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you have the spare time, by all means do some "one on ones" at your local Apple Store. And visit our forums as often as you can. Just by reading through the various threads you'll learn quite a bit. We also have what we call "Sticky" posts. Especially read through those as they are very informative.

Reaction score
Another way is: Have your devices in the sidebar as said above.
Look at the device in the sidebar, see the triangles? (see pic)
Click on the triangles to unmount drive, USB stick etc.
Then unplug it.

craig 2014-11-15 20-04-44.png

Reaction score
A quick way to the "My Computer" equiv on a Mac is to click the Finder (or the wallpaper), then "Go" > "Computer". Done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.