I love my macbook - but a list of niggly things

Reaction score
I am absolutely delighted with my purchase...fantastic machine! But there are still a few things that I need a bit of help with:

delete key: how can you do this? I was so used to using both the backspace and delete key in windows

How do I open mail in the background I've ticked the "hide" box in the user preferences part but it still opens on the desktop

I have a (shudder) microsoft mouse which i quite like. It works fine except for the back on forward buttons on the side - any way I can get these to work?

I still need to transfer a few things across from my PC, is this quite easy to do with a crossover cable?

Tabbing - I've noticed a few times (such as in firefox) and in OSX somewhere (sorry cant remember where) that you cannot tab between the things you could in windows. For example, in a website that has: username; password; then tickbox (to save password) you could tab between all 3 then hit the spacebar to tick the box in windows. In OSX you can only tab between the first two...minor annoyance I know!

How do I uninstall the trial version of microsoft office?

Is there any way to change the default program that open a certain file. For example a .doc file can choose open with>other> always open with but I still notice .doc files opening in the microsoft office trial software. Same applies to adobe reader in firefox (cant find way to change it from the preview program)

There were a couple of other things but I've managed to find solutions such as: how to put videos in a playlist (nice player) and is it possible to do dual screen with my old monitor (http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-3130.html)

Overall, absolutely brilliant machine, already convinced my flatmate that his next computer purchase should be one of these rather than a PC. I do still find it easier to find files on a PC with a clearer hierarchy but maybe this will just take time. Also, I am not a big fan of iphoto (especially the way it stores the photos). My old photos have to be stored in a different location from the ones I have uploaded since I bought my macbook. I hate to say this was one area where the PC was better but only with help from google (picasa).

Sorry for the long list but any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2.0ghz, 2GB ram, 80 Gig HD
to delete as in a forward delete press the FN key on the bttom left and the backspace key.
to uninstall most things just drag to trash, however i thnk the office trial has an uninstall programme.( i cant check mine cos i binned it as soon as i got my macbook, i no longer want anything to do with MS and plan on never putting another penny their way)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
How do I open mail in the background I've ticked the "hide" box in the user preferences part but it still opens on the desktop

I have had the same issue... I have an Applescript that I open at login that closes the Mail window... I won't be in front of my Mac for another 4 hours (sooo sad :D) If no one has posted a solution for you by then, I will post the script then.

Change Default Open with:

Select the file... Just 1 click, to highlight it.

Press Command+I to open the Get Info window (or right-click, then select "Get Info")

Under "Open with" select the App you would like to open this type of file.

Under Use this application to open all documents like this click on Change All… and follow the prompts

There is also a Cool App (free) for changing default "open with" that creates an App in the Sys. Prefs.: RCDefaultApp

Welcome to the forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
I am absolutely delighted with my purchase...fantastic machine! But there are still a few things that I need a bit of help with:

Tabbing - I've noticed a few times (such as in firefox) and in OSX somewhere (sorry cant remember where) that you cannot tab between the things you could in windows. For example, in a website that has: username; password; then tickbox (to save password) you could tab between all 3 then hit the spacebar to tick the box in windows. In OSX you can only tab between the first two...minor annoyance I know!

I've never noticed any difference in tabbing. But then I use Firefox not Safari.

Which browser are you using?

OP
Reaction score
I've never noticed any difference in tabbing. But then I use Firefox not Safari.

Which browser are you using?

Thanks for the help so far guys!

I use firefox, to give an example, log out of this forum then when you try and log back in tab between the username, password, and checkbox (to save the password). In firefox, it only tabs between the first two fields but skips the check box

Reaction score
I'm using a MS mouse and the back and forward buttons work fine!!! I went to the microsoft site and downloaded the mac drivers for the mouse.

Reaction score

Try this:
http://www.robertnyman.com/2007/01/18/551/
I just discovered this today. Seems to be OK. One advantageous side effect is you can now tab between buttons on system messages.

OP
Reaction score

I still need to transfer a few things across from my PC, is this quite easy to do with a crossover cable?

Thanks everyone for the help, just the above things above that are still to be solved, any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Thanks everyone for the help, just the above things above that are still to be solved, any suggestions?

It will always open a window when you first launch it, but you can then close all of the windows or hide it (Command-H) and leave it running until you need to use it.

No crossover cable is necessary; any ethernet cable will work. Connect them and turn on Windows sharing in the Sharing pane of System Preferences, and you should be able to connect from the PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's

Sorry bro... I totally forgot.. (had a birthday party yesterday)

To make Mail automatically Close the window when it opens at login do this:

Copy/paste this into the script editor...

tell application "Mail" to activate
tell application "Mail" to close the front window

Save is as an application. List it as a "Login item".

Let me know how it goes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.