I love Apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
I bought a reconditioned iMac and thought I was getting an entry level 24-inch iMac, 250gb 7300, 2Ghz.

It arrived and it has 2.33Ghz CPU, 2GB of RAM, a 500GB SATA drive and best of all the NVidia 7600 graphics.

Needless to say am I a very pleased customer :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Nice.

Lookin' to get a 20" refurb in the near future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
yea that happens sometimes...my iMac came with 256mb of graphics memory instead of 128 for some reason...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Yea, my Macbook came with 1GB RAM instead of 512MB. Sweet little free upgrades!! Nothing extra came with my iMac. :-(
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G3 350MHz, 256MB Ram, OS X 10.3.9
Nice purchase. Enjoy it.

OP
gilesjuk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've hit a problem already, the infamous uneven backlight is present and I get the hum sound when I dim the backlight. I have set the backlight to full and used software to dim it to stop the sound.

I'm really thinking about returning it, I can't live with this as my main computer. I have sold a number of items to fund this and it has to be perfect. I replaced a 22 inch widescreen monitor which has more consistent backlighting.

I will be using this for graphics and photo editing, so having a third of the screen normal, a third with a slightly brownish tint and a third slightly dimmer than the rest is unacceptable.

I expected more from Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you called Apple over the phone?
If you are going to return an open box item, you will be charged a decent 15% fee. I suggest calling them and complaining about your situation over the phone.
Personally, I haven't heard of this hum or backlight issue.
Bryan

OP
gilesjuk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some people's hearing just isn't going to detect it, but it's an annoying hum that induces a headache when I hear it.

Search on Apple forums, here's a thread on humming:

http://discussions.apple.com/click.jspa?searchID=-1&messageID=3765726

Here's a thread on the uneven backlight on another site:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-62375.html

Trust me, it's unacceptable, I've had two LCD monitors and the iMac is inferior. It's simply not worth the price.

The humming is only at low backlight, My other LCD monitor did this too, but I was able to adjust the brightness and contrast to stop it. With the iMac you have no hardware controls to work around this.

If it was just the humming I'd be ok about it, but the uneven display is distracting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Leaving aside humming, the display should be perfect, as it is with every iMac I've seen.

If it isn't, get a replacement.

OP
gilesjuk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a reconditioned one, I can't simply return it. I will have to call up and arrange a return. It'll cost me £60 but I can live with that.

I will get a refund and get a Mac pro instead, I just don't think I will get another integrated unit.

Wish me luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's defective, they pay to pick it up. I purchased a iPod refurb (40GB V3 i think) and it crapped out 2 days later. I got it back and I would still having problems two weeks later. They paid to pickup the iPod, let me keep the dock/ wall charger and accessories and gave me a full refund. No questions asked. I was so happy, I went out the next day and bought the video iPod.
Just tell them of all your problems and you want to send it back for a refund. I wouldn't ask for exchange because that might look like buyers remorse (which will cost you.) Make sure you get your money and give it right back for the Mac Pro.
Bryan

Just make sure you get someone cool and understanding on the phone. If not, ask to be transferred or hangup and try again. It'll make life a billion times less complicated!

Good luck!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.