I just changed the Macbook Pro to connect to the router via cable instead of wireless.

krs

Reaction score
Couple of things:
Re the white cable: The MBP does not have an ethernet port, and only two USB ports, so it's typical to have a USB hub that plugs into one of those ports; but we're talking about an ethernet cable. So all this white cable does is input the ethernet tip and output a USB tip that plugs into the hub. I doubt that this causes any kind of problem.
That white cable from your description is an ethernet-to-USB adapter - it has a chip inside and may require drivers.
If the one you have is not specifically specified to be Mac compatible, there is a good chance it will not work.
Does Ethernet in your Mac Network preferences show as being connected?

As to
She told me that the MBP was still very hot, and that she could not shut it down! Not with the power key nor with the Apple shutdown option. She had to pull the plug from the wall socket.

Is there no battery in the MBp or is the battery dead?
Pulling the plug from the wall socket won't normally turn the MacBook off, it will just continue to run on battery power.
Can you explain why that would not have happened.
And finally:
Also, just recently I spend $200 on an EMF meter
I was going to suggest that earlier so you can take a measurement at the router and also at the Mac to see what EMF readings you get. But then I decided not to since these meters are not cheap....as you found out.
But since you have a meter, what readings do you get and how do those compare to the maximum allowed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
That white cable from your description is an ethernet-to-USB adapter - it has a chip inside and may require drivers.

I would say that until some photos of the actual cables being used are posted, we are all going to be guessing. And maybe include a diagram as to how everything is connected.

I thought the "White cable" might have been be the one the ISP normally (at least in this area) provides from the wall-jack to the router.

And lots of other incompleted statements and descriptions that need to be explained better.

EDIT:
BTW:
I'm rather surprised that a retired programmer and Mac forum member since 2011 would not have known some of the normal acronyms used in the forums, and also the old adage of "garbage in equals garbage out".
First, with all due respect to Macwin, I have a personal practice that I wish everyone had, namely: When I write a document, the first time I use an abbreviation, I precede it with its original value so that the reader associates the two for the remainder of the document. In this case, I wish he had said "... Macbook Pro (MBP)". I didn't know what MBP meant until I read the whole thing and it finally sank in.

Anyway... maybe some things with the situation can be clarified...

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Oops! Wrong thread!

Last edited:
OP
BudVitoff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 iMac 21.5; 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Mojave.
Sorry guys,

I've been sitting at my Mac for a few hours now, and I had drafted a response to the previous level. Unfortunately, something happened and I dropped out of the forum. When I returned, the work I did had disappeared and I have not been able to find it, in spite of the option to restore auto-saved posts.

I'm exhausted, it's 2:00 AM, and I haven't had yesterday's breakfast yet.

What makes it worse is the sticker on my Mac that reminds me to "Use a local site for drafts", which translates to "Don't depend on outside software to keep your stuff from getting lost."

I doubt that my work is no longer alive, but I have no idea as to where to look. If you know, please tell me; otherwise, I'm going to try to relax and regain some strength before I get back in the game.

:[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oops! Wrong thread!

Well, it was nice that you dropped by, even if you did get off at the wrong station.

I hope you found the right thread. :D

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I returned, the work I did had disappeared and I have not been able to find it, in spite of the option to restore auto-saved posts.
... ... I doubt that my work is no longer alive, but I have no idea as to where to look.

I am not understanding if you were able to use your auto-saved post or not, or if it was even working properly.
If you come back to this thread, look for the restore auto-saved option at the bottom of the thread which you should be able to click on and have it magically appear. Maybe...

- Patrick
======

OP
BudVitoff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Something is screwy here -- I'm just not sure what it is.

Patrick,

Although the restore option is showing intermittently now, it was showing yesterday. It worked, but only brought up the first of four paragraphs in my post.

krs,

The email notification dated Today at 8:30 AM repeated your post #21 entirely. My missing post answered it all, but I'm repeating here just the one I got a kick out of:

"That white cable from your description is an ethernet-to-USB adapter - it has a chip inside and may require drivers. If the one you have is not specifically specified to be Mac compatible, there is a good chance it will not work. Does Ethernet in your Mac Network preferences show as being connected?"

My answer: It has been working fine with just the ethernet cable for about six years. :laugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My answer: It has been working fine with just the ethernet cable for about six years.

Which still leaves some un-answered questioins that may affect your problem:

- Is the cable still working???
- Is the cable connections actually connected correctly???
- What other settings may have got changed???
- What if any settings files have got corrupted???
- Is the router working???
- Has the ISP's bill been paid???
- etc. etc... and probably more... ???

- Patrick
======

krs

Reaction score
........Does Ethernet in your Mac Network preferences show as being connected?"
My answer: It has been working fine with just the ethernet cable for about six years. :laugh

Sorry, but you are still not answering the question....
Does Ethernet in your Mac Network preferences show as being connected?

If the Mac shows ethernet as being connected, then we can tick the ethernet cable and adapter off as being OK.
But You have never confirmed that.
Ethernet_ann.jpg

OP
BudVitoff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Is the cable still working???
Since all recent tests using the cable failed, I've disconnected the cable and we're back to Wi-Fi only.
- Is the cable connections actually connected correctly???
It's a simple connection; nevertheless, I've disconnected it at the hub.
- What other settings may have got changed???
None that I'm aware of.
- What if any settings files have got corrupted???
None that I'm aware of.
- Is the router working???
Yes.
- Has the ISP's bill been paid???
They haven't complained.
- etc. etc... and probably more... ???
I don't think I can blame COVID19.

OP
BudVitoff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is only one entry in the list now, and it's Wi-Fi connected and green.

I know this does not prove anything, but it lets Barb do her thing. We'll know more after I get down there again to do more testing.

Last edited:
OP
BudVitoff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, hello newcomer!

I suspect that you have something to say, but I can't read what you wrote. Can you (get help from someone who will) translate your message into English?

OP
BudVitoff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It’s never too late to say thank you.

I had a brain fart in my dreams last night, and I started putting together everything you guys individually suggested, and when I finished, I plugged the ethernet-to-USB cable back into the hub, added the ethernet cable to the network, jiggled a couple of wired until it showed “connected”, shut off the Mac’s wi-fi, and tried it. Voila! Success! Then I worried just a bit about having to switch the wi-fi off and on depending on who was in the house but that was unnecessary, because you had already answered that, too: Leave it off just for the Mac, and the other users will still have it available.

The best part of this is that I actually knew what I was doing!

So thank you, thank you, and once more. I apologize for being so thick-headed — but wait until you’re 85, and maybe you’ll know how I feel.

You are a great, helpful, and patient bunch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So thank you, thank you, and once more. I apologize for being so thick-headed — but wait until you’re 85, and maybe you’ll know how I feel.

Glad to hear your brain farts seem to have fixed things, and I'll only have to wait six years before I get to 85!!! And I hope I make it... brain farts or not... :D

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.