i have a question i mainly use my macbook pro as desk top?

Reaction score
my question is should i leave it on the charger or not? the way im using it right now is when its low on battery charge i hook it up to the charger and fully charge it do u guys recommend me doing this or should i just leave it on the charger thanks in advance ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
WHOOOOOOO STOP NOW :)

Remember your battery life depends on your cycles. if you do this every day it will be know time at all until you will be asking for a new battery. so with the new MB and MBP you will only have a 1000 cycles worth of battery power. And i wouldnt bank on that either.

Keep it plugged in to the mains when you are using it. You need to preserve your battery at all costs.

Ill give you a link to maintaining your battery from 

Battery Maintenance

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
I asked a genius about this the other day, and he said 'use it or lose it' - as in if you don't use your batters down to 20% and then charge it, it'll just fade away.

But that could mean I'm going through 2+ cycles a day...

Is it worth running off battery once a week, say?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My wife's MacBook is now 34 months old. She has never used it while not connected to power. The battery basically gets used when I borrow it when I'm needing two computers at a time, maybe once or twice a month.

Her original capacity was 5020 mAh, her current capacity is 5268 mAh.
It has 26 loadcycles on it.

I did it's first and only calibration about 6 months ago, took just over 4 hours of use to drain it to the point it turned off.

My recommendation, if you're using it as a desktop and sitting next to a power outlet, plug it in. Follow Apple's recommendation for calibrating it once a month (to the letter), or when you remember to do it.

You'll have times when you want to carry it someplace else around the house or sit outside on occasion. That's good enough imho. It is a battery. It will wear out at some point in time as they all do. If her battery was to die today and cost me $100 to replace, that's $2.94 per month. Not bad when you consider what it is these batteries are running.

C

chas_m

Bob's experience matches mine.

I have a 2007 BlackBook, and the battery gets used maybe once a month. It RARELY gets below 50% on that one occasion, maybe once every six months I'll let it go down below 20%.

It is on the mains 99% of the time, and still gives me three to four hours of battery on those occasions where I need it after 2.5 years.

I'm afraid the Apple guy was wrong on this one.

Of course, he COULD have been speaking about the new "sealed" battery, I don't know anything definitive about those.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.