I found a "js" file on my MacBook Hard Drive.

Reaction score
This file is in lower case. It is in the applications folder. I don't remember seeing it there and it could be fine. I'm thinking it has to do with Java Script. I just to make sure it is safe. When checking online it doesn't mention it, just Java Script. Anybody give this old lady some security?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
A JS file is a text file that contains JavaScript code. It is used to execute JavaScript instructions in a webpage. JS files may also include functions that open and close windows, validate form fields, enable rollover images, or create dropdown menus.

Nothing to worry about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
When checking online it doesn't mention it, just Java Script. Anybody give this old lady some security?

Using your Browser and doing a Google search will usually find an answer or a solution, in this case try this one:

And as pine man member mentioned, it's just basically a web page helper as the first hit from the above search shows:

- Patrick
=======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There really shouldn't be any JS files in the Applications folder since it isn't technically an application. However, the file should just plain text, so open it up in TextEdit and see what the contents say. That might give you a clue as to how it got there and you can then decide to delete it.

OP
B
Reaction score
I did google it but there wasn't mention of an app. It was a folder in the APP LIBRARY and I did open it and it looked like program "text".

I'm a programer from way back so some of this stuff just grabs my attention. Regardless of what it was, I just looked for it and now it is gone. I'm so old I've programmed on paper tape, those huge IBM paper cards, that smaller ones, the big floppy disks, the little floppy disks and now all these new wonders that can be invaded by the outside world. Dang, I'm old. I programmed on the very first CRTs. You would think I'm an idiot with the questions I ask here.

I have been hacked into Facebook, my bank, Equifax and I just got a letter today that my medical information has been hacked and I should freeze Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. I didn't even recognize the name the company so had to Google that. The have my medical information. It's my CPAP machine data monitoring company.. Lord love a duck. They "say" they didn't get my social security number or drivers license number. Like that would make me feel better. I went to their web site and it's not even secured. Hello! Anybody home?

So, I'm a tad paranoid when I see something that make me go hmmmmmm.

Thank you all so much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.