I delete things but my my memory used doesn't change.

Reaction score
I was watching district 9, and it was roughly 700 Mb and my memory left on my Mac was at 276.26 GB.... then after i was done with it I deleted the movie and my amount of memory left stayed exactly the same.

And yes, I emptied by garbage bin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Ok, terminology strikes again...

Files do not consume "memory" they consume hard drive space. Where do you see the 276.26 GB displayed? (The available space is displayed along the bottom of any Finder Window - in case you need the correct term for that.)

Not sure where you are, or if you are a recent Mac convert from windows, but you discard things by putting them in the Trash. (Windows calls the similar location the Recycle Bin, at least here in the U.S.) I'm guessing you're in Great Britiain. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
Can anyone answer the poor guy's question?

P.S. a hard drive is Read Only Memory (ROM), so it is memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is not memory it is hard drive space and if you do a reboot you may see a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Looks like the guy simply hit delete without actually emptying the Trash.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Looks like the guy simply hit delete without actually emptying the Trash.

That would probably be a very likely possibility. Deleting a 700 meg file (and emptying the trash) would certainly make a difference in the amount of hard drive capacity used.

Although the OP did mention that they did empty the "trash bin"...so my only other guess is...the OP could have two hard drives...and didn't check the correct drive where this 700 meg file was stored & deleted from.

Maybe the OP will "revisit" and let us know for sure.:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Okay I'm back. Yes, I did empty the "Trash." No, I don't have to HDD's. Yes, I am reffering to the space at the bottom of the "Finder"

I did it again and this time it deleted some, but only about half of the space I was using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
Sorry that I got ROM wrong. What on a modern Mac then, is ROM? I learned about RAM and ROM in the 8th grade lol and do not remember I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
ROM is a non-rewriteable CD. That's about it. Most systems don't use ROM anymore, since things are always changing. You want to be able to rewrite things like firmware and system files as demand changes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... if you do a reboot you may see a difference.
Did you? (And, did you?)

Yes, I did empty the "Trash." No, I don't have to HDD's. Yes, I am reffering to the space at the bottom of the "Finder".
Second "did you" above is about the number at the bottom of the Finder Window. And, when you empty the Trash, do you open the Trash Finder Window and see if it shows 0 Items?

If no, then yes, then try repairing permissions with Disk Utility on your OS installation disc. You have to boot from the disc, not your hard drive. (Restarrt and hold down the 'C' key until the logo appears.) After doing that, check the amount of space.

Reaction score
Okay I'm back. Yes, I did empty the "Trash." No, I don't have to HDD's. Yes, I am reffering to the space at the bottom of the "Finder"

I did it again and this time it deleted some, but only about half of the space I was using.

Maybe open finder, select OSX listed under "devices" and then select "size". A 700mb file should be listed at, or very near the top of that column I would think.

One other thing to try that only takes a couple seconds is to type the file or partial file name (example: "district") into "spotlight" (top right corner of screen) and see if anything comes up.

You may have deleted a reference to the file (like an icon or something) but not the "main" 700mb file.

Also, if the file you downloaded was a RAR or zip file that you expanded the original RAR or zip file might still be on the hard drive even if you did actually delete the "playable" movie file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.