I can't tyqe the letter q without it coming out as a q!

Reaction score
I'm having the weirdest thing haPPen to my Keyboard. the letter "P" on my keyboard comes out as a "q." I'm having to coPy Paste whenever I need the letter! If I hold shift, nothing come out. If I Press it normally the letter "q" aqqears, and if I Press is with CaPs lock on it comes out as "Q."

I could understand if the letters were next to each others, by they are at oPPosite ends on the Keyboard!

Please advise as its driving me crazy!

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What Mac? What version of OS? Have you spilled anything on the keyboard?

OP
P
Reaction score
Its a iMac 7.1 running OSX 10.6.

Nothing has been spilled, and Keyboard has had no trauma.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Lots of people have trouble sorting their Ps and Qs. ;)

Do you have another keyboard, or can you borrow one to hook up to the iMac? If it works, then you know the problem is the keyboard, and the solution is to replace it permanently.

Reaction score
It is possible that your P key has been remapped in software. Take a look in system preferences / keyboard. You might consider doing a Restore Defaults, if you have not done any customization in here already.

OP
P
Reaction score
I can't tyqe the letter "q"

I've plugged the keyboard into a laqtoq, and it does indeed come out with the letter "q" instead of "p" but i means that the problem is with the keyboard and not the Mac, and that its not a Virus. Is there anyway to reprogram the keyboard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
Is the computer still under warranty or apple care? Take the keyboard to the Apple store and they'll give you a new one, no questions asked.

Reaction score
Definitely a bad keyboard. Even if not under warranty, keyboards are cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I've plugged the keyboard into a laqtoq, and it does indeed come out with the letter "q" instead of "p" but i means that the problem is with the keyboard and not the Mac, and that its not a Virus. Is there anyway to reprogram the keyboard?

Don't think so. Not sure if that first "sentence" has a question in it. There's something missing or mistyped. But, it's not a virus. That's not what a virus does. "Virus" does not mean "any inexplicable computer problem".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
i know it doesn't solve the issue, but in the mean time can you swap the keys to allow you to crack on a type whilst the apple care route is being followed.

J

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.