I can't log into my account and other issues!

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Sorry about my English.

I use a 2017 Imac 27 model almost exclusively with FinalCut.

This morning I press a button on the keyboard to bring it out of the Stop state, I am on the user login page with a memory full message, yesterday I imported some videos, but I didn't bother to check the remaining capacity.

I enter my usual password and nothing, it is not accepted !! try again try again !! I swear and turn off by pressing button behind.

Turning on again and I am no longer the usual home screen but now the systems want me to enter my username and password; I have tried dozens of times but it seems that the account no longer exists.
I called Apple Support and after doing a couple of negative tests they tell me to reinstall the operating system.
I tried in recovery mode but the problem is that there is not enough space.

Is there any way to delete apps or clean trash bin in recovery mode using the terminal?

krs

Reaction score
I have no first hand experience with a full start up disk that won't boot, but I would try one of two things:
1. Boot up from your back up drive, then select the normal start up disk and move or delete some big data files, or
2. Boot up from a USB install disk and move or delete some big files.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

The only way to cure your difficulty is to do as member "krs" has advised. You need to remove those large video files so that the system will boot again. Afterward, we advise you to purchase an external hard drive and move non-essential files there instead.

By the way, is your 2017 27" iMac running a fusion drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
By the way, is your 2017 27" iMac running a fusion drive?

Unfortunately, I suspect that the answer would be affirmative!!! :cry

Anyway, try and follow the suggestions provided by krs.

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's not a problem unique to fusion drives though. I did it to myself on a G3 clamshell iBook. I was able to get it to boot with only a few NB of free space but it took an age.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually, it's worse on a fusion drive equipped Mac because of the small drive space on the SSD portion of the combined drive. And once that fusion drive unfuses, it's curtains! :sd

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
True. I was thinking in terms of normal operation. The fusion drive coming apart at the seams hadn't occurred to me. Hopefully I can go a while longer before I have to face that prospect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.