I cant install windows via Bootcamp because I get an error. Help?

Reaction score
Every time I try to install windows with Boot Camp assistant, I get the error:
The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition.
The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows.

I looked at my Disk Utility and I only have one partition. I tried something out in terminal which lets you see hidden partitions and I saw that I had a second partition labeled EFI but that shouldn't be affecting Boot Camp Assistant right?

Anyways does anybody know how to fix this I really want to run windows natively on my macbook.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The error is deceiving. What it's really telling you is that your hard drive is fragmented and there is not enough continuous free space to create a partition for Boot Camp.

And by the way, your hard drive has three partitions on it already: EFI, Macintosh HD, and Recovery. OK, how to solve this?

Make a Time Machine backup (full) of your Macintosh HD. Boot to your Recovery partition (command + r), erase and format your Macintosh HD, reinstall Mavericks, restore your Time Machine backup. The fragmentation will be removed and you can then proceed to install Boot Camp and Windows.

OP
X
Reaction score
Can I use a tool like iDefrag to defrag my harddrive? I don't know ow to make a backup of my hd and even if I did I dont any external hd to back it up to

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
iDefrag should get the job done and let you avoid that error. Even so, I strongly recommend following member chscag's advice and make a backup first. If there is any kind of hiccup during the defrag process your drive may become so scrambled that the data can't be recovered easily if at all.

Time Machine is very easy to use when making a backup. See here for example.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
iDefrag should get the job done and let you avoid that error. Even so, I strongly recommend following member chscag's advice and make a backup first. If there is any kind of hiccup during the defrag process your drive may become so scrambled that the data can't be recovered easily if at all.

Time Machine is very easy to use when making a backup. See here for example.

OP
X
Reaction score
Just did a full dfrag of my harddrive with iDefrag. Took about 3-4 hours and still get the same error in BCA. Does that mean that not having enough continuous free space is not the problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's why I don't recommend using iDefrag (I have a copy) because the results are not always satisfactory. How large is your hard drive and how much space is free? If you're tight on free space iDefrag will not work. Also, there are different options to choose from when you defrag.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a 120gb ssd and I have about 40gb free. I chose the full defrag option

Your SSD is too small and tight on space. You can not effectively create a Boot Camp partition on that drive even if you use the minimum. Your best bet is to use Windows in a virtual machine with VM software. That way you don't have to mess with Boot Camp.

VirtualBox from Oracle is free and very easy to setup and install Windows. Unless you intend to run graphic games in Windows it should work well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Having used both VirtualBox and VMWare Fusion I would recommend Fusion if you can afford it
VirtualBox is great for free but harder to set up and a bit buggy.

Reaction score
defrag doesn't work let me explain this in more detail you need to reinstall mac os x with a fresh formatted hard drive the reason is if the hard drive has been dual partitioned at any point and time then the partition removed and restored back to a single you cannot create another partition because mac os x won't let you because it will corrupt the o.s

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
John:

Skip the confusing statements. SSDs should NEVER be defragmented. If the OP had mentioned he had a SSD, no one here would have recommended iDefrag.

OP
X
Reaction score
I have a couple of friends who have the same exact laptop as I do (literally same model) and they dont get that same error when opening BCA. I noticed that they all have around 60gb or more of free space tho so maybe thats it? Im not sure.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No doubt. Your friends have more space to work with. As long as you're that tight on space it's best not to attempt to install Boot Camp. Your model MacBook Air may be able to be updated with a larger SSD from OWC (Mac Sales). (Depending on which model you have.) Go to their web site and see if you can replace your SSD with a larger one and how much it would cost.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.