I broke my latch....

Reaction score
I was walking up the steps and slipped, I barely even dropped my ibook in face it didnt leave my hands. I get up and open up the screen and I see a piece fall. So I try closing my laptop and it doesnt close. I hold it up to eye level and I see a little thing that falls down to latch it down to the base (where the keyboard is) and I stick my finger in there to hold it from returning back to the screen. Its a little plastic latch, the piece that fell off is like a hook it seems, Im guessing theres nothing I can do for this. You would think it would be metal. If anyone has a possible solution to have my laptop to close probably plus post. :eek:neye: :eek:neye: :eek:neye:

D

Desolate One

I believe it is metal. I mean it retracts via spring load, and when you close the lid a magnet pulls it back down. Unless of course I'm mistaken and they've produced a plasic w/ magnetic qualities. Hmmmm, and their stock just split. Coincidence? :eek:

I

iDVFH.

The whole mechanism is metal..very thin cheap metal yes but metal all the same..there's really nothing to do unless your like an expert..if there's no real evidence you dropped it call up apple and tel them it just fell apart and see what they say..worth a shot man!

J

Jefe3223

I agree with Dv'sibookg4. It's worth a shot, a white-lie never killed anyone (i hope). I've wondered the same thing with my ibook, whenever I close it (ie. "I wonder how easy it is to break that little thing...I better not try..." by then I geneerally close it all the way and stop myself from any needless destruction).

OP
J
Reaction score
it shouldnt have broke that easy really.... it even feels like plastic. Ill figure out something and let you guys know the outcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If it's under warranty, there's a pretty good chance that Apple will repair it.

These latches go all the time; they're not that strong. The fact that they retract into the case helps, but they eventually break anyway.

Z

zakatov

Ouch, that sux, didn't u get this iBook less than a week ago?

BTW, it's metal, cuz a magnet in the base of the iBook makes the latch come out when the lid is closed.

OP
J
Reaction score
its so hard to give up my ibook to send it in for repair :( I live in greenville, sc so theres no apple store near me either. Yes my apple is under warranty not even had it a week....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.