I bought an ibook on sunday!

J

jowizzle

Well, I bought 12 hours too early. I'm now the proud owner of a 14" 933MHz ibook. So my choices are this: Get a $50 rebate, or pay $130 restock fee and get the new 1GHz, which happens to be the same price as what I paid for the 933.

This is what I make of the differences on the new one:
- 1GHz processor (vs. 933MHz)
- Twice the L2 cache (512K)
- Max 1.25GB RAM, which is significantly more than the 640 max

So I feel screwed either way because now I have to pay $130 more for something i could have had for free, and the $50 rebate doesn't really make it better.

My real question is this: How much performance gain will i see from the new model? Is it worth the $130? I want this to last for at least the duration of my applecare. I notice that even with the 640MB tony hawk 4 is a little choppy @ 800x600 with fog.

Literally 12 hours too soon! This sucks. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have 7 days left to bring it to make my decision. Thanks for any help...

-Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It's a very tough choice. I think I would go for it, but it's not the same when I'm making the choice from a hypothetic perspective

OP
T

trenollet

I talked with apple yesterday and they will price match within 10 days of a purchase. I think the only exclusion to this is if you bought from a retailer and not the apple store, in which case I guess you are right. So I'd call apple if you did get it direct from them.

OP
J

jowizzle

trenollet said:
I talked with apple yesterday and they will price match within 10 days of a purchase. I think the only exclusion to this is if you bought from a retailer and not the apple store, in which case I guess you are right. So I'd call apple if you did get it direct from them.

I bought from The Apple Store. They have already confirmed the price guarantee. However, they also say I may trade up to the new model since it is the same price. My question is this: is it worth the $130 restocking fee for the additional specs detailed in my first posting (933MHz -> 1GH, 640MB RAM MAX -> 1.25GB RAM MAX, 256K L2 -> 512K L2)?.

Thanks again... Hope nobody else has such poor timing :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If I were in your shoes and had the money. I would upgrade to the faster box.

OP
T

trenollet

Oh yeah, $130 is worth being able to cramp more ram in and double the L2 cache. I'd do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I too would definetly upgrade. You may not need it now, but you sure would regret it in the future when you need it and don't have the extra power.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.