I am thinking of buying an emac this summer/fall

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
I have recently switch to mac as you can see in my mac specs but I want to go ahead and complete the transition by getting a desktop system. As far as I can tell the last gen. emacs are very cheap and you get a lot for what you pay for. I have seen them go for less than $800 on ebay easily, which is good. Is there any piece of advice or other recomendations iyo? I have looked at last gen. imac g4's and g5's but I decided on the emacs because of the pricing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You get what you pay for. Get a Powermac so you can upgrade each piece separately. I think you could get a 1GHz G4 tower and a 17" LCD monitor for $800 pretty easily.

OP
ibookclamman300
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have been considering other systems too, mainly a last gen g4 or first gen g5 powermac or a g5 imac or intel imac. I do know that I don't want to spend more than $1000, $800 if possible. I am leaning towards an intel machine so I can use my zune with my computer. If I have to I will get an intel mac mini, which wont be too bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
I love my eMac, but I do wish I would have gotten an intel mac. Main reason being because of programs I want to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you're planning on spending upwards of $1000, then I would suggest staying away from older PPC models as you can easily afford an Intel based Mac with that kind of budget.

The latest Core2Duo iMacs start at $999, so you should definitely be able to get a refurbished or previous generation CoreDuo iMac for a price well within your budget. Then there is the Mac Mini, which DEFINITELY falls within your budget, which can be made even cheaper if you already have a monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I'd get a Mac Mini instead of an eMac anyday. You're stuck with a 17" CRT monitor as well with the eMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, you can totally get an intel mac mini and a 17" for $1000. Go refurbished from the apple website. They're like 100$ off new or more sometimes.
I had a Macbook and sold it for my Intel iMac and both were refurbished. They come with the same warranty as a new one. Neither had a single problem. I am so glad I didn't pay full price!
Unfortunately, they do not have any currently in stock. But I think it was like $699 ($100 off) the 1.83 Intel w/ a superdrive.
Good luck!

OP
ibookclamman300
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i think I am gonna go for an intel imac refurb, I want to have a low mid range video card (I game sometimes). I don't have a spare screen, which sucks, so the mini would be the same price as the imac. Yeah looks like I'm going to get an imac now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good choice. I picked up my 20" refurb for $1250 with tax. It works amazingly well. I installed bootcamp and XP and ran NFS Carbon at almost full setting flawlessly.
I think you can pick up a 17" for $899 or something.
Good luck!
Bryan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.