• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I am tempted ... Buy or not

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I must say that this car has my full attention at the moment.
Just need a bit more advice and ' convincing ' ...

Anybody here with some sound advice ?

Cheers ... McBie

Impreza.jpg

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not from me... I've had well over 20 new cars since I started buying new instead of used in '82.

It's a good looker though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 2Gb, 160HDD & 10.6.2 / Aluminum Keybaord & Mighty Mouse / WD MyBook 1TB
Subaru makes amazing vehicles with awesome life spans as long as every thing is maintained. Now the nice thing about the subs is that it doesn't take toooo much maintenance but the little you need to do every few months is well worth it especially for a beauty like that. I say buy. haha

OP
McBie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Maintenance is indeed one of the criteria I need to look at so I am looking for owners of the 2009 model and get their input.
This is a genuine rally car, only thing they added is a passenger seat ( so to speak ).
I have driven the car and it is the best driving experience I have had .... ever.

According to my wife, it is now beyond any doubt that I am having a mid-life crisis.
Which is weird, because until now, she said I never grew up ....never became an adult ... so how can I get a mid-life crisis then ?

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
According to my wife, it is now beyond any doubt that I am having a mid-life crisis.
Which is weird, because until now, she said I never grew up ....never became an adult ... so how can I get a mid-life crisis then ?

Cheers ... McBie
Could be worse , you could be asking for a FXX or a gumpt apollo. I know edmunds gave it a good rating though when I dug a little deeper, I read a few things about the engine vibrating but it only seemed like it was the Manual.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB, 4GB RAM 500GB Hardrive
BUY BUY BUY.
That is my dream car. They are fantastic.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Cheers ... McBie

And yet she still married you. Amazing. :p

I say buy it. ^-^"

Reaction score
wow nice subaru WRX i would so buy it. Man rear wheel drive too, I have two buddy that have subaru and they love their cars.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Nah, that would be something like a Corvette (or maybe in Europe, something like a 2-seat Lotus).

A WRX is certainly a fun, sporty car - but it's entirely too practical to label you as being in mid-life crisis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I say buy it.
This is a friends, i put up for Photo of The Month.

20100207-p3eee437du5rk82ibdes2jad9d.jpg

They are nice :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
It seems that sporty cars when purchased later in life is one of the scapegoat indicators of a mid-life crisis. For some people it is but I find it such a wrong stereotype for a some men. I'm not at the age myself yet but I've always wanted a sports car and I think I will always want one because I love to drive.

The problem is that when you are young you dream about one but can't afford it. Then when your job career is starting to get better and you earn more money most men get married which means just about all their money goes to their family...or wife. ;) Once again no sports car. Also the impracticability of a sports car for family usage makes it a tough sell to the wife. I believe this is one of the reasons why the sporty 4 door sedan market was even invented. It's kind of a compromise between the two desires and a easier sell to the wife.

So this leads us to middle age when the children are out of the house and a person had less family expenses but they are still working. The house might even be paid off so what do you do with the extra money you finally have? Maybe get that sports car you've always wanted. :) ...but society tells you that you going through a mid-life crisis rather than finally fulfilling a dream. Solution? Go into debt and buy yourself a sports car when you are young and keep it for the rest of your life. This way people can't accuse you of going through a mid-life crisis if you bought the car when you were young. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
if this is indeed a mid-life crisis, i would find one that is a couple of years old. do a lot of research though. this is one of the most tuned and tweaked cars around. there are several WRX forums that are just as good as Mac-Forums. Ask some questions and read threads to see what you need to look for. you can save some money and still have a nice toy.

OP
McBie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
if this is indeed a mid-life crisis, i would find one that is a couple of years old. do a lot of research though. this is one of the most tuned and tweaked cars around. there are several WRX forums that are just as good as Mac-Forums. Ask some questions and read threads to see what you need to look for. you can save some money and still have a nice toy.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am currently reading up on the car on various forums and have e-mailed a couple of people to better understand what I am getting myself into.
idea is to start out with the standard car and tune up if need be.
Need to talk to some owners face to face as well.

I am also looking at taking ' driving ' lessons specifically for this car to make sure I handle it right..... there are too many computers in there.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch
One place you should definitely read up is eopinions.com. They have a reward system for writing better reviews, and you will find that they are unbiased, as opposed to what you might find on a Subaru forum.

My only Subaru experience was with my dad's Impreza wagon, which was a 1997. He was perpetually having problems with the brake system and wheel bearings. I assume they have that ironed out by now.

The idea of a sporty AWD car is really nice. They're very practical, but not as roomy as you'd think by the exterior dimensions. (the drive system translates to less legroom than you'd find on a Honda or Toyota with front wheel drive)

They are very sure-footed in the snow, and handle EXTREMELY well when it is dry.

Fuel mileage is not that great though, I don't think Dad ever saw better than 25 mpg, and his was the smaller 2.3L normally aspirated model. Probably another price of AWD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Aluminum unibody MBP, Intel core duo 2.4GHz proc, 4MB DDR3 RAM,
Best place to find out any info you need would be the NASIOC forums. Scoobies are good cars. I'd give my left arm for an STi.

Reaction score

If this is a mid-life crisis car, you better get your 20 something girlfriend sorted out first. You'd hate to have the girlfriend with last year's model car, wouldn't you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:
deff get the STi man. my boy has an 06 STi w. 400hp n 400lb tourqu and man that car is crazy fast!!!! and the newer ones i heard are a blast to drive, and u can get them up too 400hp w. like 2000 worth of work maybe even less

OP
McBie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Thanks all for the feedback ...
I will check out the places you suggested as well.

Am meeting someone this weekend who owns an STi late 2009 model, and we're gonna have a beer and a chat.

The more I read, the more questions I have. At some stage it will come down to the 80/20 rule I guess :)

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.