Hyperthread

Reaction score
I've looked into this issue on other forums but nobody seems to know the answer.

Can you enable/disable hyperthreading on the new i7 iMacs? Does it require complicated developer tools, or can an average Mac user like myself turn it on and off?

Much thanks to anyone who knows!

P.S. sorry about the duplicate post, forum noob :\

OP
A
Reaction score
Pretty intimidating stuff.

From my research I've learned that my main audio application, Ableton Live, doesn't do as well with Hyperthreading on. Cubase does though. Decisions, decisions on whether to invest the extra $$ on the I7.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I guess you have to ask yourself whether or not the slight % reduction in performance for one or two applications is worth the loss of the increased performance for just about everything else.

OP
A
Reaction score
Good point. I don't know if it is.

I found an article on how to disable hyperthreading for Mac OS. https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/hyper-threading

With these instructions, its easy. I just want to have the option of turning it off, in case it interferes with my audio software. With a $2000 purchase, I need to know every detail :)

Since hyperthreading can be turned off easily, I will spend the extra money and get the nice i7 processor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.