HP Printer install & Password problems

Reaction score
I am using a Macbook pro. I just remeoved an HP 8022 printer because of Printhead failure. Today I am trying to install a new HP 8025e. I am running into all kinds of Password problems to get the "123.hp.com" program installed. Worse thing is I do not know what my "HP Smart-HPconnected-Lastnameuser-in keychain" is. It keeps asking for this info, and for 5 years I have never used the Keychain. How can I get the software installed to run my new printer. Apple even sent me verification codes on my phone, and for everyone they sent, I got the "Not a valid verification code" I am just about to go back to a red Crayola and a Big Chief tablet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
All I have had to do to install a printer is to connect the printer, open System Preferences, select "Printers & Scanners" and then click on the "+" below the list of printers. Find the one I want to add. Done.

Anything ending in .com is for Windows, not Mac, so "123.hp.com" is never going to install or run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Have you deleted the non-working HP 8022 printer from your System Preferences Printing prefs, or maybe even tried resetting your printing setup??

What Mac OS version are you running and is it a networkable or Wireless or USB printer, or which one are you trying to set it up as???

You may not even need any extra printing software installed. Does the HP 8025e printer even show up in your System Preferences when trying to add a new printer using the "+" icon???

EDIT:
Maybe have a look here to see if anything helps:

- Patrick
=======

OP
B
Reaction score
All I have had to do to install a printer is to connect the printer, open System Preferences, select "Printers & Scanners" and then click on the "+" below the list of printers. Find the one I want to add. Done.

Anything ending in .com is for Windows, not Mac, so "123.hp.com" is never going to install or run.
Who ever told you .com is only for windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The extent .com is for Windows applications. macOS uses .app for applications.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The extent .com is for Windows applications. macOS uses .app for applications.

Jake: "123.hp.com" is the web site that HP uses for setting up its printers. It's not an executable. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jake: "123.hp.com" is the web site that HP uses for setting up its printers. It's not an executable. :)
Charlie, I was responding to this from the OP
I am running into all kinds of Password problems to get the "123.hp.com" program installed.
From that, it would appear the OP is trying to install something called 123.hp.com. Maybe I misunderstand?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I am running into all kinds of Password problems to get the "123.hp.com" program installed.

Assuming you are using the "123.hp.com" as an address in your web browser, the HP site requires that MacOS 10.13 or higher be used to use the installer software it performs.

Just in case the info helps... ?

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
From that, it would appear the OP is trying to install something called 123.hp.com. Maybe I misunderstand?

No, you didn't misunderstand. At first I thought the same as you but then it just didn't make any sense which is why I tried it with my browser. And sure enough the 123.hp.com is where the printer drivers and instructions are located.

It could be as Patrick replied that he's not using macOS 10.13 or later.

However, he should not have to use the HP site to install the Printer. We don't really have enough information to assist him. We need which version of macOS he's running and the year, model of his Mac.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I had a similar problem after Upgrade to Big Sur. My Epson printer scanner was no longer visible to my MBP. I had to go to Epson in India to find the Big Sur drivers for scanner and printer there. Once downloaded I merely added the printer/scanner to System Preferences > Printer/Scanner (I had already deleted it first) and from there it has continued to work perfectly.

The web site mentioned 123.hp.com looks much the same as the Epson site, I don't understand what KeyChain has to do with any of this. The site says, "Install HP Smart software and drivers on each mobile device or computer that you want to print from. Add the printer on the new device." which is what I did with mine.
I tried entering HP 8022 and it gives a few alternative devices in that model then the "Next" button appears. I assume the next window would be the download window but I didn't go that far.

So what does KeyChain have to do with the process, what am I missing?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Is it the System asking for the Admin Password for permission to instal the drivers maybe, or is that too simple?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.