How would I be able to do this (Noob question)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.2 ghz / 30GB 4200 / 1.25 GIG
Like, I have to switch my connection my internet and desktop if I want to use either.

What I'm trying to ask is... is there a way I could split my connection and have my iBook and desktop both running on the internet @ the same time?

Reaction score
Get a router?? Im assuming you have cable internet???

Modem> Router > iBook + Desktop

M

meltbanana314

Are you using dial-up internet or broadband (cable/DSL?)

If you have broadband and want to share the connection wirelessly (this is easier than running Ethernet through the house, believe me) - put a wireless card in your desktop and buy one of these and set it up (http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/)

Your iBook should already have a wireless card inside

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I'm using DSL connection.
Well, my ibook is a g3 did they have wireless cards in g3's?

S

sonofapplepm

The Airport card was optional. If you click the Blue apple in the top left corner>About this mac>More info... you should see airport card, if you have an airport card installed. Hope this helps!

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I went to about this mac, but I did not see a "more info" option.

Here is a screen of what I got.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You do have airport. On the top bar on the right side you see the icon whose picture I attached this means you have airport

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    977 bytes · Views: 116
OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, so if I have it what am I suppose to do so it'll work? And how do I access the more info option on about this mac...

Oh, and another question that dosen't go with any of this, but I read somewhere you said if you here some clicks in the logicboard that means something is wrong with your hdd... I hear the clanks sometimes when I'm loading a webpage or something on my mac, but it's not affecting anything.. I just hear it.

But when I'm listening to iTunes and then I quit iTunes my screen blinks then comes back up.. do you think that'll be just my old os x?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Yes you could do the wireless with just a router now.

More Info wasn't included in the About this Mac until Jaguar. Check under Applications -> Utilitiies and see if System Profiler is there that is the same thing

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How would I do wireless with a routher?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
There is actually a way you can share your internet connection without a router. If you have the wireless card in your desktop, make that handle all the connections for the internet (i.e. plug the modem directly into that) then go into preferences > sharing and turn internet sharing on. Then turn airport on on both computers, create a network from the desktop (easiest way is through the menu bar icon) and then connect to that network with your ibook.

However, this means that you'll have to have your desktop turned on all the time, which would be avoided if you use the router. If you want to use a router you'll find instructions for internet sharing in its manual; each one has a different method. The setup I have at the moment is we have a router that's got a modem built in, so it handles both the connection and the networking.

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
muso said:
There is actually a way you can share your internet connection without a router. If you have the wireless card in your desktop, make that handle all the connections for the internet (i.e. plug the modem directly into that) then go into preferences > sharing and turn internet sharing on. Then turn airport on on both computers, create a network from the desktop (easiest way is through the menu bar icon) and then connect to that network with your ibook.

However, this means that you'll have to have your desktop turned on all the time, which would be avoided if you use the router. If you want to use a router you'll find instructions for internet sharing in its manual; each one has a different method. The setup I have at the moment is we have a router that's got a modem built in, so it handles both the connection and the networking.

It sounds so complicated :eek:neye:

Could I get one of those linkskys routers from wal-mart?

X

xthisisRomancex

...yea..get a linksys WIRELESS router from walmart../ ( or any other store) and it is fairly simple to set up. If you have n e questions just post thyem here we will bve mroe than welcom to hlpe you

M

möbius

If you want to buy one, I have a linksys 4 port router and a dlink 4 port router sitting in my basement. They aren't doing anything because I upgraded to a wireless router and a nice 16 port switch. I would sell either of them dirt cheap.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.