• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

How Virigina Tech's supercomputer could benefit Apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Source: MacMinute.com

How Virigina Tech's supercomputer could benefit Apple
September 10, 2003 - 09:02 EDT Last week MacMinute noted that Virginia Tech will use 1,100 Power Mac G5s as part of a supercomputer cluster now under construction. "The new cluster is designed to make its way into the rankings of the world's largest supercomputers, a list that currently has no Macs," reported CNET News.com . Now Charles Haddad of BusinessWeek has written an article explaining how Virginia Tech's plans could be a real boon for Apple. "While it wasn't Apple's idea, the company stands to benefit big-time. The opportunity isn't in supercomputing itself, a small market in which Apple has no standing. But Virginia Tech's progress in building a Mac-based supercomputer represents a high-profile endorsement of Apple's new G5 desktop, released just weeks ago, and the first desktop to use a 64-bit microprocessor," notes Haddad in the article.

My Comments: Yeah no kidding.. it doesnt hurt that they purchased 1100 computers either :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
eh, I was gona buy that if they didn't.. but since they did, i guess ill stick with one or 2.. :D

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
I wonder what sort of pricing they received on that order. I have to assume that it was lower than the standard education pricing.

Maybe if well all get together, we can arrange a "group-buy" discount on some G5's. :D

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't see why they wouldnt.. if we could get enough people together.. Apple is all into that.. it wouldnt be significant, but it would be cheaper then if by yourself you went in to the apple store and purchased there..

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Virginia Tech G5 supercomputer cluster photos

September 20, 2003 - 00:58 EDT Virginia Tech has posted a large collection of photos of the university's new supercomputer cluster, which uses 1,100 Power Mac G5s. "Virginia Tech's idea was to develop a supercomputer of national prominence based upon a homegrown cluster," said Hassan Aref, dean of Virginia Tech's College of Engineering. Virginia Tech will use the cluster to perform research on nanoscale electronics, quantum chemistry, aerodynamics, molecular statics, computational acoustics and molecular modeling, among other tasks. Update: The photos have been removed without explanation. MacMinute was able to save a few of the images (which can be found here) before they were taken down.

My Comments: Man that looks awesome!

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Padawan said:
I wonder what sort of pricing they received on that order. I have to assume that it was lower than the standard education pricing.

Maybe if well all get together, we can arrange a "group-buy" discount on some G5's. :D
Lets hope they didnt get apple care with all of those...
:D

H

hokiethang

Murlyn said:

September 20, 2003 - 00:58 EDT Virginia Tech has posted a large collection of photos of the university's new supercomputer cluster, which uses 1,100 Power Mac G5s. "Virginia Tech's idea was to develop a supercomputer of national prominence based upon a homegrown cluster," said Hassan Aref, dean of Virginia Tech's College of Engineering. Virginia Tech will use the cluster to perform research on nanoscale electronics, quantum chemistry, aerodynamics, molecular statics, computational acoustics and molecular modeling, among other tasks. Update: The photos have been removed without explanation. MacMinute was able to save a few of the images (which can be found here) before they were taken down.

My Comments: Man that looks awesome!

The larger collection of pictures is still available from on campus. Absolutely amazing. Cant wait until I take parallel and high performance computing next fall with one of the professors responsible for setting it up. All the software on the cluster will be homebrew which is cool as well. If anyone is interested, i can snag a few more pictures for the community.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldnt mind at all :)

H

hokiethang

Murlyn said:
I wouldnt mind at all :)

alright, its downloading now, i should have a chance to get it up later this afternoon.

60.5 mb of visual goodness :-D

H

hokiethang

I was bored during class, so its up now. I cant leave it up if it gets slashdotted, but the listing is a direct copy of that on the site, some of the pictures are kinda well stupid but they have some nice shots of the actual installation of the machines to the racks.

http://www.overlords.net/terascale/

some parts of it are copyrighted VT Computing center, but i dont feel like writing my own indexes, so this mirror can not go widely public (slashdot) and i dont have the transfer to support being slashdotted.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very awesome! Thanks for those photos :) I love the tshirt :)

H

hokiethang

Murlyn said:
Very awesome! Thanks for those photos :) I love the tshirt :)

I tried to get one but they wouldnt let me work on it because im employed by the university. :-( Oh well, my boss is getting us in to take a look at it when it is up and running :-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Murlyn said:
I don't see why they wouldnt.. if we could get enough people together.. Apple is all into that.. it wouldnt be significant, but it would be cheaper then if by yourself you went in to the apple store and purchased there..

i dont know how much cheaper it would be compared to my student discount. or my teacher friend who can buy up to 5 macs a year at discount

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 supercomputer cluster considered a bargain

G5 supercomputer cluster considered a bargain
September 25, 2003 - 10:30 EDT Virginia Tech told MacMinute this week that its new supercomputer cluster, which uses 1,100 Power Mac G5s, is a relative bargain compared to alternatives (such as Linux machines) and one-tenth the cost of an average supercomputer. Lynn Nystrom of Virginia Tech's College of Engineering said that the total cost of the cluster is US$5.2 million, financed over five years.*"At $1 million a year, and knowing that the College of Engineering brought in over $100 million in research money last year, we consider this an investment that will attract big science research money and increase our overall research expenditures significantly," she told MacMinute. Virginia Tech fired up parts of the cluster for the first time on Wednesday to get it ready for inclusion in the Top500 project's new list of the world's fastest supercomputers -- a list that currently has no Macs. Nystrom said volunteers started assembling the cluster in August and "have been working 24/7" since then in order to have it ready for the list's October 1 deadline. She confirmed that the university will indeed have its numbers in by the deadline.

My Comments: That was a bit cheaper then I was expecting...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.