How to upgrade form Snow Leopard to Mavericks

Reaction score
My 93 year old Dad has an iMac with Snow Leopard loaded. He doesn't adapt well to changes in the appearance of his mac so I don't upgrade unless it look like it's really necessary. I looked at Yosemite a few months back and concluded that it is too different from SL, and until it has finished debugging I won't use it myself either.

Then recently I bought a new mini (the excellent 2012-14 model) with Mavericks loaded and as it look very similar to SL I decided to upgrade Dad's iMac too.

So I looked for Mav in the App store and it's no longer there, and I can't find it anywhere else. My mini did not come with an install disk - no surprise, as there's no cd/dvd drive in this model - and I don't seem to have a download option for Mav from the app store.

So my 2 questions are first, can I register my mini, or whatever, and get a download option from the App store?

Or, second, can I create a clean install disk or usb for Mavericks from my mini, and then install it onto my Dad's iMac?

Thanks

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Don't know if helps or not, but here are some points:

The OS is computer-specific. So, no you can't use your copy of Mavericks to install on your Dad's Mac. And that's only fair, otherwise anyone could give their OS to everyone in the block.

Any therefore registering your mini or otherwise won't help either.

What you (or your Dad!!) needs to do is make sure you are running the latest version of SL; then access the Apple Store and see what's available. I know of folks who have upgraded to Lion and ML, but have had to pay as these were (I think) purchasable when introduced. Yosemite would be free if the Mac can support it and if your Dad can stand it.

If you can't see Lion or ML listed, then give Apple a call. Others have found this helpful. As regards Mavericks, I don't think that's available but I may be wrong.

As I said, this may or not be what you wanted, but it's the best I can offer. Others may chime in with alternatives.

Ian

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Sadly there are no other later OSs in the App Store that I can find.

I don't really agree with you that Apple's restrictions on use of OSs is reasonable- inconvenient would be a better word. And deleting "old" OSs (Mavericks didn't get as far as its teenage years before it was axed) is very odd. I'm sure Apple has its rationale for this.

Eventually Yosemite will be a good OS but I'll wait and see for now.

As it turns out I'm about to be given a Mavericks install disk so problem solved.

Thanks again

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Sago48, I agree that axing Mavericks so soon seems a bit harsh but it has been Apple's practice from Lion onwards to remove the previous OS immediatly after release of the next OS. However they tend to come back again after a while. So if you are patient and keep checking you will likely find it back in the app store some time soon.
I do have a question though, why do you think you need to upgrade your dad's computer at all? You said, "I don't upgrade unless it look like it's really necessary." Why is it necessary now?
Lastly make very sure your dad's iMac is capable of running Mavericks because it is very difficult to go back. I also suggest you have a full backup via Time Machine or other before doing anything at all.
Check this page for requirements; OS X Mavericks: System Requirements - Apple Support

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
because it is very difficult to go back.
It's not that difficult to go back. Assuming that a clone of the Mac has been done before the upgrade, it's a simple matter of cloning back the clone to the Mac.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the continuing engagement.

Rod, Apple offers very clear guidance on minimum specs/age requirements for Mavericks, and on their lack of support for old OSs too. With specs there may be workarounds in some cases - e.g. I changed my old core duo from 1,1 to 2,1 with a core2duo processor and a firmware upgrade, and nearly (only nearly) got it to install Lion - there was a path to this but for me it was too long and detailed and not worth it in the end. There are no doubt similar options for Mavericks

Also, going back not really a problem should he find Mavericks too different.

As I said I'm being given a copy of Mavericks so I see this as resolved.

Thanks again

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm having trouble following this thread I was not the one who wanted to update my dads computer nor was I put out about early retirement of Mavericks. sago48 says he is being given a copy of Mavericks so problem solved, yet IWT has clearly stated it is machine specific (I'm not sure that's true) so a copy will not solve the problem.
Also when I said it's difficult to go back I wasn't saying it would be difficult for me but some of my clients don't backup at all and have absolutely no idea what a bootable clone is. For them it is difficult. Nothing is difficult if you know how to do it.
Either way thanks for the feedback. Let us know how you get on.
And I still don't know why you want to update your dad's computer in the first place.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I may have mislead myself and others. I'm almost certain that paid-for OS such as SL were indeed computer-specific and I was really referring to the situation up till then. When the OS became available only as a download (no CD or stick from Apple), it was then possible to create an installer on a USB stick and thereby use it to upgrade all the computers you owned—saved you downloading an installer for each one. As the OS became free (Mavericks onward I think) it was the obvious thing to do.

To use the installer to upgrade other people's Macs is, I guess, entirely feasible if you have a copy of the installer. Whether entirely in the spirit of things is another matter. When sago48 says he's been given a copy of Mavericks, I'm not sure in what form that is—installer on a stick or a copy of the actual app from another Mac? Not sure if the latter would work.

I'm sorry if my first posting was more confusing than helpful. Part of that relates to my incomplete understanding of what sago48 actually wants.

Ian

C

chas_m

Just to clarify this: the license from Apple when you buy a disk-less OS version is that you are allowed to install it on any compatible Apple-made computer you own (ie no FrankenMacs). You are not allowed to install it on someone else's computer.

I recognise that people will ask "what's the difference when it is free," but I believe that even installers made from your downloaded copy by apps such as Diskmaker X are still tied (or at least watermarked) with your Apple ID. Thus, installing "your" copy of Yosemite on someone else's computer may complicate the upgrade situation for the recipient or possibly (remotely, but possibly) land you in some legal trouble.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks chas. This was my understanding too. I didn't express as well as I could of in my first posting, but at least the gist of what i said was accurate.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chas_m that is kinda my understanding too. Possible to use a downloaded installer for anyone but I also wonder about "watermarking". My guess is that they are all numbered or linked to an Apple ID. So given that it is definitely in contravention of the terms of use described in the EULA possible or not it is definitely illegal. Whether or not any form of prosecution is likely is probably dependant on cost versus profit. There may come a day when it would be possible to sue all of the individual offenders for less that the action would cost but I doubt it. On the other hand cancelling or suspending your Apple ID for example is an action which could be easy done and legally justified.:Mischievous:

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"sago48;1632811]My 93 year old Dad has an iMac with Snow Leopard loaded. He doesn't adapt well to changes in the appearance of his mac so I don't upgrade unless it look like it's really necessary."

I still don't have an answer to the above. Why is it necessary now? I am assuming security updates are not the answer but perhaps I am wrong.:D

OP
S
Reaction score
"sago48;1632811]My 93 year old Dad has an iMac with Snow Leopard loaded. He doesn't adapt well to changes in the appearance of his mac so I don't upgrade unless it look like it's really necessary."

I still don't have an answer to the above. Why is it necessary now? I am assuming security updates are not the answer but perhaps I am wrong.:D

Rod I'm not sure why you want to know. I didn't ask for advice/help on this aspect of the issue - but I appreciate your engagement so here's my thinking on this.

Am I right that your view is that there's no "technical" reason for upgrading - you post suggests this when you mention 'security issues'. I've noticed that for example SL won't run newer versions of Safari, which he uses, and from the web I can see that there do seem to issues about SL and Apple support, but I haven't given it any thought really.

As I said this is about Yosemite, which I doubt my Dad will be able to adapt to (in my opinion as his personal carer and mac carer). This makes Mavericks the last of the useable OSs for him - and I as I said I discovered this when I recently bought my new mini running Mavericks. I'm betting that let's say he lives another 6 years or so, he'll have a better chance of a useable system if he has Mavericks than if he sticks with SL. And the sooner he makes the switch, the better.

Of course I didn't count on Apple's deleting Mavericks so soon, and my approach so far hasn't worked - the promised install disk hasn't materialised. And respondents to my post aren't clear (at least to me) on whether I can create an install disk from my mini - my main original question. It seems likely I can't. I've got a useable Lion dmg but that's a fair bit older than Mav and not much younger than SL. So I'll think again for a bit. Nothing spoiling, as they say.

If you think I'm wrong and SL will be fine for say another 6 years plus I'd be happy to leave things as they are. Other views on this welcome of course.

C

chas_m

Mavericks could be okay to use for another 5-6 years depending on what he's doing with the machine (not much I'd imagine), so I'd say leave him there for the time being. And to answer your question, no you can't make an install disk from your mini.

Reaction score
I also am running Snow Leopard on a six or seven year old iMac. Recently, I purchased a new printer assuming it would run on my computer as is. Wrong. Only from Lion onward. I then looked into the possibility of installing Maverick and ran into the same problems as the OP. What to do? Apparently I am screwed unless Apple makes Maverick available again. Any suggestions?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
IRecently, I purchased a new printer assuming it would run on my computer as is. Wrong. Only from Lion onward.

Any suggestions?

Sure. If the printer requires Lion or newer…then upgrade to Lion (10.7) or Mountain Lion (10.8). Or if you can go all the way…Yosemite (10.10).

- Nick

Reaction score
Nick,
Thanks, but it seems those OSes are not available, but I'll keep looking. Won't try anything until I get the new hard disc backup. I've been using Macs for 20 years at least but am still a novice. I do just enough to muddle through and get by.

Randy

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Nick,
Thanks again. I was thinking of Maverick, I guess. but Mountain Lion should work for me until the time when I think about getting a new Mac, assuming documents are transferrable. I had some trouble the last time i upgraded. I live nowhere near a Mac store (250 miles) and have no one local to consult with.

Randy

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I live nowhere near a Mac store (250 miles) and have no one local to consult with.

That's why Mac-Forums is here. To help out as much as we can without the need for an Apple Store!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.