How to trick game into thinking cd is in drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Hey all,

I play SimCity 4 on my MacBook Pro (Intel Core Duo, OS 10.4.9), but I'd like to be able to mount an ISO image file so that I don't have to keep the cd in the drive. I have created copies of the cd with Disk Utility.app and with Toast 6 Ti.app and am able to mount the image files such that they look like cd's on the desktop, but the game still pops up the message "please insert cd". Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kris

Reaction score
I used to do it with Tiger Woods golf but I just can't remember how I did it. I think I just left the mounded disk on my desktop and it worked fine. Sorry I just don't have the particulars as it was maybe 3 years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
If you have Toast 6 or 7, you can make a disk image of the game. Then you can eject the disk and simply mount the image whenever you want to play.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
That doesnt always work. I think some games specifically check the CD drive.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i was just able to do it with AoE II. insert the drive, open disk utility and click the new image button on the tool bar. you'll have options of what kind of image you want to make, i selected the last one that was something like CD/DVD.

as stretch said though, and as i've heard in various places, this doesn't always work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alu MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz, 2GB DDR3, 160 + 320GB HDD, Gforce 9400m - iPhone 8GB 2.2 T-Mobile
Can you not get a NO CD patch on Mac games like PC games? Then you don't need to have an iso/diskimage or whatever taking up space on your HDD.

OP
RONE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That doesnt always work. I think some games specifically check the CD drive.

I think this is the problem, because I've created every type of disc image available through Disk Utility and through Toast. None of them are fooling the game into thinking the cd is in the drive. Are there ways around this?

OP
RONE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you not get a NO CD patch on Mac games like PC games? Then you don't need to have an iso/diskimage or whatever taking up space on your HDD.

I'm curious to know more about this, and where I would need to look for one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, iPhone 5, Apple TV
I'd like to know the exact same thing. I was thinking this just the other day when I went to play Sim City 4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alu MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz, 2GB DDR3, 160 + 320GB HDD, Gforce 9400m - iPhone 8GB 2.2 T-Mobile
Guys, I can't link direct here but search the usual torrent websites or google and you will find one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's

I think this is considered a "crack"... and is not permissible for discussion here.

Google is your friend.

Moderators, please correct me if I am wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think this is considered a "crack"... and is not permissible for discussion here.

Google is your friend.

Moderators, please correct me if I am wrong.

Technically it is a "crack" but as they obviously have bought the original disc then its not like they are using it for illegal purposes. Even Mr Jobs himself has decided DRM free software is the way forward.

But that said, if the mods feel its against the rules then please feel free to delete.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.