How to transfer iTunes music using a pen drive?

Reaction score
I copied the music folder onto the pen drive and then used it to replace the same on another laptop but the result wasn't that good.
Most of the songs are there but they are not sectioned into the same playlists. No playlists were created on the recipient laptop.
What is the right way to do this?
(two Macbook Pro's with Yosemite)

C

chas_m

You copied the ENTIRE music folder, including the whole of the "iTunes" folder? Provided you did that, and the two versions of iTunes are the same and are both authorized under the same iTunes account, that should have worked fine.

C

chas_m

I'm not sure what you mean by that, so I'm assuming you copied only one of the iTunes Music folders INSIDE the iTunes folder which is INSIDE the Music folder. If that's the case, that's where the mistake was made.

OP
J
Reaction score
folders:
Music, iTunes, iTunes media, Music (which has a folder for each artist)

So I need to copy the first Music folder, not the last one?

C

chas_m

Actually, just copying the iTunes folder and putting it in the same place on the new drive will do the trick. If there is an existing one there, MAKE A BACKUP OF THAT FIRST before proceeding, since your moving the iTunes folder into the same place will DELETE the existing iTunes folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.