How to spend my $$?

J

jimmymalibu

I am biting the bullet and buying a G5 (switching from PC). I have a limited budget (who doesn't), so question is, how to allocate that last $500-1000?
I will be using it for video and some audio work. Editing with Final Cut 4 and playing with Motion, (and one day Shake).
I am trying to decide between dual 1.8, 2, and 2.5, 1mg ram vs. 2, or 3mg, or high-end video card.
I am open to reliable 3rd party stuff for ram or video cards.

Does anyone know an optimal configuration, bang for buck, to reduce bottlenecks?

(I am posting 2nd thread re: cinema displays, 20" vs. 30" - and 30" requires the the NVIDIA 6800 Ultra - can this be got elsewhere for less?)

OP
E

Echo_

uh i wouldnt go with the 2 ghz proc just seems like a rip off to me so either 1.8 ghz or 2.5
make sure you have at least 1 gig of ram (prob best bought off newegg) or higher. imo id say you prob want 2 gigs if your editing movies but 1 gig would work. i think 3 gigs would be somewhat overkilll
the 6800 ultra is more or less the same price on teh aftermarket i think its 600 buck son newegg?

also id rather have a 1.8 proc with 1 gig of ram versus 2.5 ghz proc with 512

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
IMO id go for the dual 2Ghz and get the ram else where and stick as much in as i could afford.

To me a mac dont really warrent the high end graphics card as there are no really killer games (unless ive missed some!?) so you only need the card for dual 30" as far as i can see?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
He is planning on doing video editting, so he would have uses for the high end graphics card.

OP
N

nomore

inflexion said:
IMO id go for the dual 2Ghz and get the ram else where and stick as much in as i could afford.

To me a mac dont really warrent the high end graphics card as there are no really killer games (unless ive missed some!?) so you only need the card for dual 30" as far as i can see?

Motion is GPU intensive... so it'd be a good idea to get the best graphics card.

OP
L

Lasha

Also, here's some advice. I've heard that it's not absolutely manditory to have a 6800Ultra to get the 30inch Cinema Display to work. If you use a lesser video card, it'll work properly, but you only would be limited that that video card's resolution, so, the only think you'd be missing is the super high resolution which you get from the 6800Ultra. Also, Other video cards give ana wesome resolution as well, so...look into it. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.