How to show password hint in High Sierra?

krs

Reaction score
On the older versions of macOS, El Capitan for instance, the password hint comes up after one enters the wrong password three times.

Apple seems to have removed that feature in High Sierra (or maybe even earlier) - it doesn't seem to matter how often one enters the wrong password, the hint never comes up.

How does one get to the password hint in HS?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Go to Sys Prefs->Users & Groups. Click on Login Options on the left and select the option "Show password hints" if not selected. Unlock the panel if it's locked before you can make changes.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Go to Sys Prefs->Users & Groups. Click on Login Options on the left and select the option "Show password hints" if not selected. Unlock the panel if it's locked before you can make changes.

Thanks, I read those instructions on google as well, but those don't make any sense or I'm missing the obvious.

All I get on the screen is the "Enter Password" prompt in the centre and a Cancel option at the bottom.
Also the battery condition, WiFi icon and date at the top right.
But no Apple logo or any other way to get to System Preferences

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you talking about the Sys Prefs dialog or something else? A screenshot always help explain things easily.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@krs,

I think this is what Ashwin was referring to:

S1.jpg

And this is what the help menu says:

Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 4.46.32 pm?.png

This may not be what you want, but that's what was being indicated.

Ian

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
I can't take a screenshot since I can't even access the Mac.
I suppose I could dig out my camera and take a picture.
But I found one on line that should explain what I'm looking for - image attached.

On El Capitan when I enter the wrong password three times the password hint comes up automatically.
That doesn't work on HS no matter how often I enter the wrong password

I don't see any other option to get to the password hint.

MacScreen.jpg

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
@krs,
I think this is what Ashwin was referring to:

Yes, I know.
But I can't get to that point.
I'm trying to bring up the password hint on the first login screen like I do on El Capitan.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, I know.
But I can't get to that point.
I'm trying to bring up the password hint on the first login screen like I do on El Capitan.

Assuming you have lost the password to that machine, have you tried resetting it? You can do that from Recovery which I'm sure you already know.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So obviously it looks like that option is turned off on the Mac. If your problem is that you've forgotten your password, then you can google how to reset it and then enable that setting for the future.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Assuming you have lost the password to that machine, have you tried resetting it? You can do that from Recovery which I'm sure you already know.

Be aware that the downside is that you will lose your Keychain Passwords as resetting creates a new Keychain.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Be aware that the downside is that you will lose your Keychain Passwords as resetting creates a new Keychain.

Ian

Thanks Ian. Certainly a consideration. However, if you can't get into the machine because of a lost password you may not have a choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Ian

There used to be a method of creating and using the same Login password with the new keychain and then all keychain stuff should work as it normally did in the first place.

I am sure the method is still out on the Internet somewhere that a browser search could find.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.