How to Share Your Internet Connection With Others in macOS

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good info on how to share your internet connection.

krs

Reaction score
When connecting to the router using WiFi, which I assume most people do, especially with portables, I share the internet by just giving the "guest" the WiFi password - what's wrong with that?

Seems somewhat simpler than setting up sharing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That will work, but do you want to give away your WiFi password to a guest?

The easier way if your router firmware allows it is to setup the guest log on with a different password from the one that you use every day.

Most routers nowadays provide a guest log on for both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz radios.

krs

Reaction score
Yes, I think the HH3000 I currently use does provide for a guest log on - but even if not, I would not worry about the guest having my password after they leave.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
My neighbour and I each know each others WiFi passwords. That way whenever we have WiFi issues we simply pick up the others network. No issues at all. All depends on how well you trust your neighbours... we have each others house keys too to keep an eye on our properties when absent.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.