how to select what to backup on external hard drive

OP
H
Reaction score
In order to boot from an external source, you either need to have a clone (Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper) on a drive with an OS (Mac) installed on it, no way around that. Both SD and CCC offer free 30 day trials, and can be used with basic clone abilities for free indefinitely. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Hi ferrar, Bought a new Seagate 1TB this morning, and I downloaded CCC, am busy cloning now.

Amazed at the speed , Time machine would take 12 or 14 hours and more to back up,
its 1 hour and CCC is almost done (it seems) - so pleased with that. (actually took just over 2 hours -still happy with that)

Just a question - you say CCC offers free trial ( which I selected) - what do you mean by " and can be used with basic clone abilities for free indefinitely."
Seems like the full price applies to businesses and has some extra functions.

I am a single user with no more that about 350g of backup on my iMac (I have 813 gb of free space on Mac HD)
Also, when i do the next BU on CCC, does it just update changes from since the last or does it go on a full BU all over again?

I also have a second ext BU using Time machine and wondering if I should convert that to CCC format as well.

Thanks ahead,
Hazoss

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I also have a second ext BU using Time machine and wondering if I should convert that to CCC format as well.

No, don't do that, if I may say so.

Time Machine (TM) and Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) are complementary not competitive (one or other). And they work differently.

The benefits of cloning BU you know already.

TM does overlap in its functions, but its everyday use is in making hourly backups (when connected) and in the background. Its primary use is for those times when you delete something by mistake, need to recover a previous version of something, want to choose the earlier version of an app and similar - all these can be done in a matter of minutes. Virtually hassle-free.

Having two BUs, each different, is excellent practice.

Ian

OP
H
Reaction score
Thank you IWT,

I will maintain both formats.

I am not in a habit of leaving ext HD's connected all the time.
I usually get a reminder on Time Machine to backup, and i do so.
I only hope that all my applications will function in the event that I have to reboot from CCC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.