how to search on a PDF for words or phrases

Reaction score
Hello! I am a new user of Mac Forums and have OSX 10.8.5 on a macmini 2.5 GHz IntelCore 15 I would like to index a book now on a PDF, but PDFs don't allow the search and find operation. That's all I need for getting the references to the keyword(s), as the publisher will do the actual insertion. What program available can I use for this?

Reaction score
The Preview app (standard on your Mac) does a pretty good job of find text in a PDF. But the PDF needs to be really made up of text components and not scanned images. The way to tell if text in a PDF is real text or just a scanned image is to try to select some of the text by clicking and dragging your mouse over the text. Real text will highlight as expected ... an image will likely cause the whole page to be selected. If what you are working with is just images, you'll have to use optical character recognition (OCR) to turn the images into text. The best option would be to try to get a real text version of the book. Otherwise you need an application (like PDFpen) to turn it to text.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
+1 for PDFpen (and PDFpen Pro). Some would say pricey, but videos & tutorials are very helpful and these are robust apps.

OP
C
Reaction score
The Preview app (standard on your Mac) does a pretty good job of find text in a PDF. But the PDF needs to be really made up of text components and not scanned images. The way to tell if text in a PDF is real text or just a scanned image is to try to select some of the text by clicking and dragging your mouse over the text. Real text will highlight as expected ... an image will likely cause the whole page to be selected. If what you are working with is just images, you'll have to use optical character recognition (OCR) to turn the images into text. The best option would be to try to get a real text version of the book. Otherwise you need an application (like PDFpen) to turn it to text.

Dear ron4mac: Thanks for this. At the moment I can't check on it---but when I do, I will get back about it.

Carol

OP
C
Reaction score
how to search a PDF for words and phrases

Dear Ron,

Well of course! I didn't even look on the Adobe Reader menu bar, and I found the way in very easily. Just what we wanted. However, making an index is a big job…there may be better ways.

Thanks again.

Carol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.