How to revert from Mavericks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Early 2008 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128MB OS 10.9
Good day all!

I upgraded to Mavericks 10.9.4 and it has slowed down my system in general and I can no longer burn CD/DVD. The optical drive will read/play commercial DVD movies, Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 Retail Mid 2009 Intern install disk, Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Retail (PCrly 2010) only. The optical drive WILL NOT read Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.4 Retail Mid 2008 Intern or MAC OS X 10.6.1 Update Mid 09 Intern or commercial music CDs. All OS X disks were sent to me from Apple Care after giving them my serial number after informing them that Mavericks IMO broke my optical drive. I also tried all the troubleshooting tutorials including cleaning the optical drive with a lens cleaner disk.

So my question is can I boot my machine using (Control-R) go into Disk Utility erase the hard drive completely including the Mavericks Recovery Partition and load any of the above Leopard or Snow Leopard OS X disk? I have already backup and copied all my Apps including iLife. I don't like Mavericks except for the new Safari otherwise my system was much faster before the upgrade. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

My iMac Specs:Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.29f1
Serial Number (system): QP8231J8ZE5
Hardware UUID: 83A932B7-998A-5FE5-B2E9-929793EB747F

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)
Kernel Version: Darwin 13.3.0
Boot Volume: Hard Drive
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: My Mac
User Name: Willard (testadmin)
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
Time since boot: 1:03

ATA Bus:

MAT****ADVD-R UJ-875:

Model: MAT****ADVD-R UJ-875
Revision: DB09
Serial Number: fE092882
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
Low Power Polling: Yes
Power Off: No

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
(I'm sure Apple told you the same thing - I strongly doubt that Mavericks is at fault - but I understand the frustration - not much comfort in knowing you're the one in 10,000 with an install error.)

I'd use the retail 10.6.3 DVD. Start up using that (holding c until you can tell it's using the DVD), then use disk utility to re-partition the hard drive to one partition.
Then install.
Be sure you backup your personal files before starting this!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Early 2008 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128MB OS 10.9
Thanks a million gsahil! I'm new to Apple products so I really appreciate the step by step instruction! I'm really good with PC, but this iMac is a different animal. But I love the iMac functionality, I guess it will take some getting use to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
BTW - if your optical drive is really broken, then you'll need another bootable device to startup from, repartition, and install from. You can't use Recovery mode to erase the whole drive.
A bootable USB thumb drive might be the answer.

if it were me, I'd keep Mavericks.

(similar answer on Apple Discussions didn't get saved - sorry)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And consider upgrading the memory. 2GB is miniscule and your iMac can handle up to 6GB. And your problem does not lie with Mavericks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
And consider upgrading the memory. 2GB is miniscule and your iMac can handle up to 6GB. And your problem does not lie with Mavericks.

+1!!! And 2GB RAM is totally inadequate for running anything normally in Mavericks - ****, it's barely adequate for running Snow Leopard on that iMac!!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if it were me, I'd keep Mavericks.

Maybe it's the version of Mavericks since Mavericks was already on the desktop when I bought this for my local University. I am able to boot into (Control+R) with the option of re-installing Mavericks via Wi-Fi. I saw somewhere that there is more than one version of Mavericks, what would you do gsahli?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Strongly suggest adding memory as has been suggested. You can do a reinstall but if it has mavericks on it now it should have offered any current updates for it. But you can reinstall if you really want to....still need more memory. 4GB would really help - 6GB even better - IMO.

Lisa

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Strongly suggest adding memory as has been suggested. You can do a reinstall but if it has mavericks on it now it should have offered any current updates for it. But you can reinstall if you really want to....still need more memory. 4GB would really help - 6GB even better - IMO.

Lisa

Lisa what do you think about this source for memory? Also I have two slots each with 1GB should I just get a 4GB and be done or go all out and buy a 2GB and a 4GB?
1stChoiceMemory.com - Apple iMac 20-inch/24-inch (Early 2008) Core 2 Duo RAM Memory Upgrades

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Macs are fussy about memory. Suggest OWC or Crucial and avoid cheapies and ebay sellers.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Personally, I've never heard of them, but I'd do a web check. i.e.:
1st Choice Memory Reviews - 1stchoicememory.com/ Ratings at ResellerRatings

Decent price but take your chances I guess - your call. ;)

Our local and very reliable and reputable supplier cost is:
Canada RAM sells memory in Canada - Apple Macintosh iMac intel Core2Duo, CoreDuo 17", 20" and 24" $ 69 cdn

likewise, another good company:
Apple iMac Memory upgrades for Aluminum 20" and 24" models with Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 2.66GHz, 2.8GHz, or 3.06GHz processor $59.99usd

Some recommend crucial, but I've never dealt with them.

But I like good service and good support and maybe pay just a bit more. Just saying... :D

Reaction score
Maybe it's the version of Mavericks since Mavericks was already on the desktop when I bought this for my local University.

Because I'm a little confused, could you please clarify. Did you buy this iMac (used) from your local university and Mavericks was already installed on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because I'm a little confused, could you please clarify. Did you buy this iMac (used) from your local university and Mavericks was already installed on it?

I bought it used and it have Lion on it and everything worked fine. I upgraded to Mavericks and that is when the issues started. Apple Care sent me a free OS X Leopard disk that came with the machine new since the University didn't have it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I own almost the exact iMac, Same specs. I right now am running latest Mavericks with 4GB RAM (Soon to go to 6) and everything works. I regularly burn DVD's and CD.s using Roxio Toast 11.

If the optical is having issues. I would bet $$$ Mavericks did not cause it. Just the age of the drive.

Reaction score
I bought it used and it have Lion on it and everything worked fine. I upgraded to Mavericks and that is when the issues started.

Okay ... I think I'm getting the picture now. You bought it from the university and it had Lion on it. There was a Mavericks install image of some sort on the desktop, that you subsequently ran to do the upgrade.

Having worked at a university in a technical capacity I would suggest that, if you would like to run Mavericks (recommended), you should run the App Store app on your dock and download another copy of the Mavericks installer. What was on the desktop to install Mavericks may have had 'issues'. Before trying the install from a fresh download, reset the SMC and PRAM - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3603

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Problem Solved

Okay ... I think I'm getting the picture now. You bought it from the university and it had Lion on it. There was a Mavericks install image of some sort on the desktop, that you subsequently ran to do the upgrade.

Having worked at a university in a technical capacity I would suggest that, if you would like to run Mavericks (recommended), you should run the App Store app on your dock and download another copy of the Mavericks installer. What was on the desktop to install Mavericks may have had 'issues'. Before trying the install from a fresh download, reset the SMC and PRAM - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3603

ron4mac you are a Mac genius! I did a fresh install of Mavericks via Wi-Fi which seems to be running a little better than the first go around. I wanna thank all who chimed in on my question, I don't care what anyone says you Apple folks are alright with me! ;) Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.