How to reset my macbook prior to selling it?

Reaction score
Hi, I am about to sell my macbook and was wondering what the best way is to make sure that no private data is left on there. I don't think it came with a CD so I guess i couldn't use that - is there any way that's easier than manually going through and deleting all the files?! (that I don't have to pay for)

Also, I need to enter my administrator username and password in order to recieve updates to the computer but would prefer it if the new owner could choose their own username and password.

Any ideas what I should do?!

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
Low format (aka low level format aka Zero aka Zeroing aka zero format)
Is the only option where no one can trace private data
If you just format it a buyer can recover all files and data

More info here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=DiskUtility/10.5/en/duh1011.html
After zero just reinstall mac os x
Ones reinstalled the buyer gets a dialog that ask for his name just like the first time you bought a mac

Zeroing takes some time but trust me it's worth the wait

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Hit, but is there an option where the laptop will be left with an operating system on it? I'm assuming a format would delete everything and the new owner wouldn't be too pleased if they couldn't use the mac once they'd bought it! As I said, I don't think it came with an installation CD so I wouldn't be able to reinstall the operating system...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Thanks Hit, but is there an option where the laptop will be left with an operating system on it? I'm assuming a format would delete everything and the new owner wouldn't be too pleased if they couldn't use the mac once they'd bought it!
You'll have to reinstall the OS later
As I said, I don't think it came with an installation CD so I wouldn't be able to reinstall the operating system...
It did. You'll either have to find it, or buy a new Leopard disk to include to leave the machine functional before you sell it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.