How to Reset MacBook

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I blew it. I bought a cheap MacBook and it turns out I didn't get any install disc and there's this administration account with someone else's name. I asked my seller for the discs and the password, and he said he doesn't know. So I want to try and sell this again. Or, is there anyway to reinstall everything. I've read some posts that say that if I don't have the discs, I can never reset the master password? Well, what if I buy a new Mac OS? Would that help? If I buy a new Mac OS, could I reinstall everything? By the way, how do I delete all HD stuff? There's a bunch of stuff from the previous owner of this Macbook.

Thanks a lot.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you would need to buy new OS disks. you'd lose iLife though - although that can be purchased as well if you wanted it.

you need to be very careful when buying macs to get the install disks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
you would need to buy new OS disks. you'd lose iLife though - although that can be purchased as well if you wanted it.

you need to be very careful when buying macs to get the install disks.

Can an OS disk be used in two computers?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure the license only allows use with one computer. i'm sure you could do it, but i wouldn't discuss it here or you're likley to be tossed out on your ear.

also, disks packaged with one type of mac will most likely not work on another type of mac. so be careful if you're buying a used set off of ebay or something.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hey,

Thanks for the replies. So how do I find a matching OS disc? As long as the version matches? My current version is 10.4.9.

And to make sure again: So if I purchase a new, matching OS install disc for my Mac, I would be able to reset the password?

Thanks,
MewMew

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.