How to remove Avast! trial

Reaction score
I have an expired version of Avast! that I'd like to remove, but cannot seem to do so. I can kill the running process, but no matter how many times I try to drag the Avast! icon to the trash, it does nothing (no error, but Avast! remains).

I'm new to the Mac, but I'm assume there's not some equivalent of Add/Remove Programs. Yet the intuitive "drag the app to the trash" approach does nothing.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave

C

chas_m

I wasn't even aware that there was an Avast! for Mac.

My first suggestion would be to go into System Preferences -> Accounts, and check your login items. I'd guess there's something to do with Avast there. If so, use the "minus" box at the bottom of the login items list to remove it.

My second suggestion would be to download a free search program called EasyFind. Use it to find anything with the word "Avast" in it (hopefully you don't do a lot of pirate-speak writing!). :)

Trash those files, log out, log back in, empty trash and you should be good to go.

One final note: you do not need ANY virus/malware/spyware protection programs for the Mac. At all. Seriously.

Let us know how it went.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
And failing to find an uninstaller ....AppCleaner
Works like a charm.

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.