How to remove Apps Correctly - Yosemite

Reaction score
Hi

I need some advice on how to correctly remove unwanted Apps (user installed).

Moved to a MBP about 2 years ago after many years on a Win platform (wish I had done it earlier !!) anyway. From those previous years I am used to using an Uninstaller provided by the OS. On the Mac I am not at all sure the correct way of doing the same thing and clearing out all the associated files/folders. In most cases I see there is no 'Uninstall' option for the majority of apps. At the moment I simply use Finder select and Right Click to find pkg contents and send this to Trash after which I delete the app in Applications. However I am aware the some Apps create folders/files in system Libraries.

So how do I clear out all the stuff ? Or Can I run an App to hunt down these elusive bits & pieces.

Many thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers Bryn

M

MacInWin

If the software came with an uninstaller, or if it is a "registered with the mothership" kind of software (MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, etc), then you run the uninstaller, otherwise just drag it to the trash from the Applications folder. The small files that applications create that get left behind are trivial, for the most part. If you are anal about it, you can get one of several apps that will clean up the debris, AppCleaner is one, there are others. I don't bother because the files are small and harmless and they get cleaned out at the next OS upgrade, which has been about every 18-24 months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And a small utility such as AppCleaner or AppTrap will help remove these apps.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
AppTrap is a good choice, simple small and effective.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Guys for the quick reply and advice. Just used AppCleaner - seems very efficient.

Cheers, Bryn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Our pleasure McBryn. Keep coming back eh?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.