How to prepare a Hardrive for installing

Reaction score
First of all im very new to this site so HEY!
I am getting a 15" macbook pro very soon and want to buy the segate 750gb 7200rpm hard drive to replace the standerd 500gb. I know how to fiscally put it in the machine but not about the software side of things.

Would it be a good idea to put the new hardrive in the machine before turning it on when i get it and then boot from the driver discs?
Or should i get my mac, boot it up and set it up and then time machine on the new hard drive then install it like that?
Please someone help and if there is another way then please let me know i know nothing about the software side of changing the hardrive.
Thankyou muchly
Rob

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The best and easiest way when the machine is new is to clone the old hard drive to your new one and then do a swap. Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper are the best clone applications to use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.