How to make a custom file icon the default?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz 4GB, 19in Viewsonic LCD, Mac Alum keyboard, Razer Diamondback 3G
I have some file icons that I would like to make the default for all my files but I really have no idea where to start about going and doing it. I know how to change a folder at a time but...that's way too slow for all my regular folders.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You can use a freebie called LiteIcon to change out many system icons, like folders, toolbar items, the Finder icon, and much more. Then there's CandyBar, which is a bit more robust and can store your icons in a library, similar to iPhoto.

For specific file types, those icons are usually controlled by the default application that opens them. To change those, you'd have to actually swap out the icon file inside the app's package to change the icon of the files they support.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz 4GB, 19in Viewsonic LCD, Mac Alum keyboard, Razer Diamondback 3G
So are these like background apps or just things that would be changing code? Just wondering.

and thank you btw :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Nope... not background apps, and technically they aren't actually modifying actual code. They actually swap out the icon file embedded in the system files. Not to worry... Candybar at least will only work with versions of OS X that it has been certified to work with, including point updates, and keeps a backup handy. I'm sure LiteIcon does as well. It's very safe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.