[How To] Macintosh Keyboard Short Cuts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Hi People, with all the recent switchers, I think it's time to dedicated a useful thread for essential Keyboard Shortcuts As many of you newcomers seem to be asking the same question over and over again.

If you know of a useful shortcut that hasn't already been posted, please add to the list. Please post it here, then link to this thread. Otherwise there will be billion of threads for the same thing.

Here's the thread code:
Code:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=42062#post42062

Thread rule
Please try to refrain from going off topic. This thread's for Keyboard Shortcuts Only on any Apple Computer wether it's a Beige Box, iMac, iBook, or PowerBook. If it's for an application then indicate clearly it's for an application.

First for the Basics on PowerBook or iBook Keyboards:
attachment.php

Also:
Brightness controls
F1 = Screen Dimmer
F2 = Screen Brighter

Contrast controls
Apple + Option + Ctrl + > = Increase Contrast
Apple + Option + Ctrl + < = Decrease Contrast
Apple + Option + Ctrl + 8 = White on Black

FYI: On PowerBooks with Backlit keyboards, there's an ambient light sensor built-in, it helps adjust both the keyboard and screen brightness, but you can over-ride it by using the keyboard controls.

In the current range of iBooks, non of them come with Backlit keyboards and the option isn't available for your iBook. Even if you acquired one, you may discover you cannot install it, since the logic-board doesn't have the necessary connections for the sensory technology.

Apple + ? = Help

Universal

Apple + Z = Undo
Apple + X = Cut
Apple + C = Copy
Apple + V = Paste
Apple + A = Select All

Apple + N = New
Apple + O = Open

Apple + S = Save
Apple + Shift + S = Save As..

Apple + P = Print
Apple + Shift + P = Page Setup

Apple = T = Font Menu
Apple = - = Small Font or Zoom Out
Apple = + = Bigger Font or Zoom In

Apple + Q = Quit Application
Apple + Option + Escape = Force Quit

Apple + W = Close Current Window
Apple + M = Minimize Window

Safari
For Tab browsing you need to switch on the Tab feature, found in the Preferences

Apple + T = New Tab
Apple + R = Refresh or Reload the page
Apple = [ = Back
Apple = ] = Next
Apple = D = Add to Bookmark

Finder
Apple + E = Eject, Remove Media/Drives (aka Put Away)
Apple + I = Get Info
Apple + Delete = Move selected files to trash
Apple + Spacebar = Change input language
Apple + Option + D = Auto Hide and Show the Dock

Command + Shift + Delete = Empty Trash (you'll be asked to confirm, just hit Return)

Grab Screen
Apple + Shift + 3 = Capture Screen (creates a PDF file on your desktop)
Apple + Control + Shift + 3 = Capture Screen to Clipboard

Apple + Shift + 4 = Capture Selection or Hit the spacebar for Photo Grab (creates a PDF file on your desktop)
Apple + Control + Shift + 4 = Capture Selection to Clipboard

System
Apple + Control + Power = Force Restart
(Warning, your system will be forced to restart and you will lose whatever your currently working on. Only use this when your system freezes and FORCE QUIT doesn't work)

FYI: Some Macusers will refer to the Apple key, as Command. Don't be confused, it's the same key. (The one with the Apple symbol on, place at either end of the Spacebar)

Simularly, the Option key is also known as Alt Hope it's not too confussing.

If there are any problems regarding accuracy of this list... please PM or AIM (StyleCode) me with corrections. It helps other's if we try to keep the thread clean, makes it easier to read and search. It's a reference thread, free aid to help other's

Cheers...

PS: Mods & Admins, would it be possible to make this a Sticky? Please.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
hype.it said:
Apple + Option + Power = Force Restart
(Warning, your system will be forced to restart and you will lose whatever your currently working on. Only use this when your system freezes and FORCE QUIT doesn't work)
So I noticed... :mad:
But for my PowerBook, I have to use Apple + ctrl + power....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Correction:

Shift + Apple + 3 = Screen Grab or Print Screen (creates a PDF file on your desktop)
Shift + Apple + 4 = Selection Grab or Hit the spacebar for Photo Grab (creates a PDF file on your desktop)

Also, how about
Command + Tab = switch to next application

And the Expose keys might be nice too.

OP
hype.it
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Thanks... I've corrected them..

Thanks for the test Zero. :D

G

gloriroze

What a splendid list! Perfect for all of us recent switchers. Thank you so much for sharing this...

Gloria

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Thanks for that, there were a few that I did not know. :)

P

pcjabber

A couple corrections:
shouldn't be in the Safari section. It should be in the universal section (I see you have it in the Finder section, too. That's good.)

Also, you are kinda inconsistent in "Apple" vs. "Command". They are the same key, and so, it needs to be consistent. (Sorry, I am a <insert your favorite word> about that sort of thing ;))

Reaction score
What's the Mac equivalent of "Copy Shortcut" from a PC? For example, if I wanted to copy the link of a hyperlinked word without opening the link in a new window or tab and then copying it from the address bar.

Reaction score
Nevermind. I figured it out by playing around with the Control, Command, and Option keys.

For those who want to know the answer to my above question, place the cursor over the linked word and variously press those keys for different options of what to do with the link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I use control + mouse click

T

TylerMoney

apple + **** + delete = empty trash

this is nice when you use cmd(apl) delete to get ride of something; you can just empty your trash real quick like too.

OP
hype.it
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TylerMoney said:
apple + **** + delete = empty trash

this is nice when you use cmd(apl) delete to get ride of something; you can just empty your trash real quick like too.

You mean Command + Shift + Delete = Empty Trash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
ive heard that to end programs you have to do some CMD + CLICK or something, you just cant do a red x box click and it end the program?

Reaction score
Safari command-L selects everything in the address bar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
maz94protege said:
ive heard that to end programs you have to do some CMD + CLICK or something, you just cant do a red x box click and it end the program?

Generally, clicking the X in the upper left corner only exits the program WINDOW. The actual application must often be exited by doing a right-click (ctrl+click) on the app's dock icon, and clicking quit. Alternatively, you can go to the program's name in the upper-left hand corner, and quit will be at the bottom of the menu that pops up when you click it. Also, keep in mind that this is not the case for ALL OS X apps without exception, just the majority.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
maz94protege said:

i use command + q. that will quit the program
command + w will close the program window.
command + ` will switch between windows in a program
command + tab will switch between programs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
For me Cmd+Spacebar is a shortcut to Spotlight, but I might have changed that myself at some point. Which is superb for launching apps. Just Cmd+Space, then type the first few letters of the app. Drop down to the top hit and hit enter. 2 seconds and your off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.