How to jump start 2010 macbook pro?

Reaction score
My 2010 mbp won't turn on, I got a diagnostic and they said it was a broken power button. How do i do a jump start so I can use it while I wait for a new keyboard? I am traveling in a foreign country so will have to wait for a new keyboard

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that you will find what you need by doing an internet search with the search term "how to turn on macbook pro without power button".

I don't really recommend doing this/these methods on a regular/daily basis. The technique/technique's suggested are really best used as a diagnostic tool to test if the power button is the problem. Even some of the search result articles say this.

Honestly...it's best to wait for the replacement part/parts to arrive...and use a 2nd computer in the meanwhile (if you have access to one).

- Nick

p.s. Another suggestion is. Once you get the computer restarted the first time...DON'T DON'T turn it off!!! Just put it in sleep mode when not in use. Then you just need to open the display (or tap the keyboard if you leave the display open while sleeping) to wake it back up.:)

OP
T
Reaction score
I have done that but as I said I haven't found a solution for my specific model. I realize it is not a forever solution, but it will take weeks for me to get the new part as I am in a foreign country so need to just jump start it once so I can leave it on. So how do I do it for my 2010 mbp?

OP
T
Reaction score
I don't have access to a second computer and need it for work, otherwise I wouldn't be so desperate for a workaround such as this.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have done that but as I said I haven't found a solution for my specific model. I realize it is not a forever solution, but it will take weeks for me to get the new part as I am in a foreign country so need to just jump start it once so I can leave it on. So how do I do it for my 2010 mbp?

I wasn't sure from your post. Did you do an internet search for the info as I suggested above?

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did but it didnt seem to work or I did it wrong

If you tried the procedure…and it didn't work…maybe a non-functioning power button is not the problem. I know that you had the computer looked at (diagnostic) by a repair shop of some sort (or maybe an Apple Store). But sometimes folks get it wrong (even experts)…and maybe the problem is something else.

Of course maybe something with the procedure wasn't done correctly…hard to help with that…unless there was something in the procedure that was confusing.

I'm thinking the options are:

1. Try the procedure again.
2. Try to do the procedure 100% correctly (so you know it's not you).:)
3. Maybe try using a different procedure. Sometimes different procedures (even for the same procedure) are written differently (more details or more photos)…and can make "more sense".
4. Wait for the replacement part.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think he means he couldn't find the correct procedure to start his MacBook Pro by searching. There were several threads in our forums that showed which two points on the logic board needed to be shorted in order to bypass the power on off switch. Take note though that you need the exact procedure for your model.

You might want to ask in the ifixit forum on their site: www.ifixit.com

or even the powerbookmedic.com site.

OP
T
Reaction score
I have tríed the procedure multiple times (unattached keyboard ribbon, etc) but mine looks slightly different from the mid 2010 that I can see. The power pads may have fallen off? See attached pic

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, apparently you did find something. From memory, the keyboard ribbon was not removed. It was only the power points (pads) that were shorted out that bypassed the on off switch. However, every model is different so what I remembered working may not apply to your machine.

OP
T
Reaction score
I took the picture before I removed the keyboard ribbon to jump start it. Does that mean you agree and think the power pads have fallen off?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I took the picture before I removed the keyboard ribbon to jump start it. Does that mean you agree and think the power pads have fallen off?

Honestly, I can't tell from your photo and I would need a comparison to look at. I know it's not easy to find the exact procedure. You're just going to have to do some serious searching in hope of finding something. But just as an opinion, I don't see how the power pads could have fallen off.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There were several threads in our forums that showed which two points on the logic board needed to be shorted in order to bypass the power on off switch.

I know exactly what you're referring to Charlie.:) I was hoping that the OP's computer worked the same way.

Honestly…since I am not familiar with the OP's experience level...I was hesitant to recommend this "jump start" procedure (or provide a link) to anyone if they weren't experienced with working on the inside of a notebook computer. I certainly don't want someone to do additional damage.

Especially if the problem is truly just a bad power button. Would be a real shame to go from a bad power button…to a fried logic board!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Take it to the Apple Store or you may have nothing at all left to have repaired if you get a short.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Especially if the problem is truly just a bad power button. Would be a real shame to go from a bad power button…to a fried logic board!

That's what's meant by going from the frying pan into the fire. :p Well, he seems desperate to get his machine up and running and he's away from home. But what I found a bit strange is that he stated he was waiting for a new keyboard? Wouldn't the power button assembly be part of the top case?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's what's meant by going from the frying pan into the fire. :p

Yes...it...is!;)

But what I found a bit strange is that he stated he was waiting for a new keyboard? Wouldn't the power button assembly be part of the top case?

Very good point you bought up!:) Before looking...I thought that it would require a whole new top case as well...but it looks like the keyboard + power button is removable...and purchasable separately.:)

Here's what powerbookmedic.com is selling:

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Keyboard

If you look at the photo of the keyboard (enlarged view)...you can see the power button "dangling" off the upper right corner of the keyboard.

This is a pretty big job...since the logic board needs to be removed to get access to the keyboard (this would have been a much easier project if it was a pre-Unibody MBP)...but that's the way it goes!;)

Here are the procedure's from ifixit.com (assuming I got the MBP model correct):

Remove logic board:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+Logic+Board+Replacement/4314

Remove keyboard:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+Keyboard+Replacement/23632

- Nick

p.s. For some reason the "remove keyboard" procedure is not a "complete" procedure. Since it does not show how to remove the logic board first. So the "remove logic board" procedure must be looked at as well. Usually the ifixit.com procedures are all inclusive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.