How to install driver for Motorola SYN1114A SDCard adapter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 - 1.2 GB RAM - 28GB HD
I'm trying to connect & communicate with this usb device but after connecting to it nothing happens, my iBook G4 has no driver for it.

I've downloaded the driver but don't know what to do with it nor where I should put it? Can someone would tell me, what now?

Thanks in advance for any info on this!

Note: The name of the downloaded file is: GeneUSBMLV22_05E3_0705.sit.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is the driver for your version of OS X that you're using on the G4? And I guess I should also ask... is it a Mac driver? Motorola is not exactly the best company for Mac support.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for replying so fast, chscag!

The downloaded driver was one of two that appeared on the visited page, it said for Mac, the other for Win98. I've no idea if it's for my OS X version because there was no other choice there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the link, bboggess!

I downloaded the closest version for my OS X 10.5.8 (which was the one for 10.2) but when tried to expand the driver file obtained the following as shown by the uploaded attachment.

How to deal with this?

Picture 1.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It is a plug and play device. Motorola has no driver available nor is an additional driver required for any modern operating system on a computer equipped with USB 2 ports.

It will either work or it won't. It will not read an SD card over 2 GB.
Amazon has that adapter for sell at $0.25 - with 12 out of 20 people giving it 1 star saying it does not work - that about sums it up for me.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, bobtomay, for your post!

I'm glad to know that I should not pursue this too much for risk of loosing my time. I'll keep delving around this a little more though...

In the case I manage to communicate with the device effectively I'll post here whatever I've done so it might be taken into account by others with the same issue.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As part of my pursuit of dual booting this iBook with Lubuntu I found an old mp3 player (64 MB MuVo from Creative) that many years ago I converted to boot DSL directly from an usb port on some machines. I was thinking of using this one even if it's half the size I was thinking of & with much sorrow because it has been a life saving device that always was there for me.

As part of all this, how can I create an image of the whole pendrive to be put on, say the desktop, for having a way to re-establish things as they were in case I find out later that this can't be done...?

Also, probably even more important, as part of this project I decided to re-partition my HD giving a new, empty (no name yet) journaled partition 9.8 GB of the 27 plus of what was there: I might be wrong on this but the vertical rectangle that appeared on the discutility program was about a third light-blue (which I thought was the proportion of the disk with info in) and the rest was plain white (which I thought was free pace). Even though my RAM is 394 MB I think it has taken toooo much time finishing with this (over 70 mins already). Do you think I should stop it?

Thanks for any info on thisissues!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't access an sdcard with iBook G4 via a Motorola adapter?

I dowloaded a "driver" for the adapter to be used in the iBook but everything remained the same.

Is there another driver or way to circumvent this? Thanks to anyone with info on this!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What's the capacity of the SD card in question?

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Merged threads - please do not continue to make new threads on the same topic. Thanks

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for the duplication of threads, it happened because I didn't search before posting!

But back to the subject, I tried a few minutes ago to answer pig003's question & received a "Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" message from the site. Don't know if here you save a copy of the documents generated every few minutes as in other forums and, less, how to retrieve such copies...

The sdcard is 128 MB & it probably holds a trial for booting up a small linux OS, formatted as ext 3 (probably); it could be holding only some common files, too, can't remember. In any case, I doubt it is formatted as any variant of FAT.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The sdcard is 128 MB & it probably holds a trial for booting up a small linux OS, formatted as ext 3 (probably); it could be holding only some common files, too, can't remember. In any case, I doubt it is formatted as any variant of FAT.

The reason why I asked about the capacity of the SD card is...I know that in the past I've run into compatibility problems with higher capacity cards. Either the card was too large to be compatible with the device...or the adapter for the card wasn't compatible with the higher capacity memory card.

I know for sure one time I had gotten a larger capacity memory card...and the problem was...the USB adapter I was using (which worked fine with smaller memory cards)...was no longer compatible with the higher capacity memory card I was trying use. Needed a newer USB memory card adapter for the higher capacity memory card.

Where the cut-off is I don't remember. And when dealing with a pretty old iBook G4...multiple of these "capacity hurdles" may be faced. So what I'm saying is...maybe try smaller memory cards (smaller than 128meg) and see if you have better results. Maybe a 64meg card, maybe a 32meg card, etc.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was about to include other facts above but for brevity sake decided not to post it.

I know this's something that goes in the opposite direction you suggest but I don't have a smaller sdcard. Apart from this one I've a 2GB Micro SDCard which I've used already with the adapter & in both cases & with more than two different laptops there was no problem reading/writing to it. Again, I was using linux for all this.

The reason I mentioned above the file system involved is that I've put a 64 MB pendrive in one of the usb ports & I've been able to read its contents. This device is formatted FAT 16.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know this's something that goes in the opposite direction you suggest but I don't have a smaller sdcard. Apart from this one I've a 2GB Micro SDCard which I've used already with the adapter & in both cases & with more than two different laptops there was no problem reading/writing to it.

No problem…good info.:)

Have you successfully used this 2gig SD card and adapter with this particular iBook G4? You mentioned using it with "two different laptops"…but you didn't say if one of them was this iBook.

Also…have you successfully used this 128meg SD card with any computer or device? If not…maybe the 128meg SD card is faulty. Just a thought.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
About an hour ago I almost had my post completed but I decided to use Disk Utility to grab/verify some info and discovered that I was not able to see the size of the device from there, so I took it out for inspecting it with my own eyes (yes, without unmounting it first), so I received a friendly reminder from OS X.

It didn't show any useful info so I decided to swap the micro-sdcards and... 'voila': you saved my day (for the moment), I thought all the time I was using the smaller sdcard but I was wrong. It was the 2 GB one all the time.

So I inserted the adapter with the smaller one and it was recognized immediately. Then I tried to view some info from the card with the Disk Utility for sharing precise info with you but the laptop showed me that spectrum-like disc rotating clockwise but it never stopped. I needed to try to kill the app but something that I pressed rendered me a black background screen with some menu: Movies, Music, etc.; I don't know what I did for that to appear but I was unable to stop that app or getting out of it. I needed to press the POWER BUTTON for a few seconds to halt everything. After rebooting I noticed that the folder for the sdcard was now empty, while before it had about 50 files in there. Re-tried that Disk Utility & everything reproduced as before, so back to the Power Button...

This time I took out the sdcard adapter and restarted, then inserted the adapter back and, apparently, all the files are still there... Think this time I was lucky.

Now, to rewrite what was lost... BTW, do this forum grabs a copy of what the user is writing as she/he goes on?

Sorry for maybe introducing confusion into the discussion, in my last post I pretended to refer to both cards when I mentioned that I had used them both with various laptops without any issue. In fact, both were formatted and some files introduced in more than one laptop. The app for partitioning/formatting them was gParted.

Now that I have had some minutes to think about it, if I can install in this iBook something like Virtual Box, install & run a linux OS would it mean that the OS is also capable of booting/running the iBook or these are not necessarily implied?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...so I took it out for inspecting it with my own eyes (yes, without unmounting it first), so I received a friendly reminder from OS X.

You seem familiar with this.:) Don't forget to always unmount (or drag to the trash)...the icon for external storage devices. If things are just "yanked" out...this can cause problems with the way the Mac OS/Finder keeps track of things. And can lead to problems/confusing info, etc.

I needed to try to kill the app but something that I pressed rendered me a black background screen with some menu: Movies, Music, etc.; I don't know what I did for that to appear but I was unable to stop that app or getting out of it. I needed to press the POWER BUTTON for a few seconds to halt everything.

Don't forget (before resorting to the Power Button) to always try the 3-key combo of...command + option + escape. This gives you a window with a list current activities & allows you to "force quit" them.

Now, to rewrite what was lost... BTW, do this forum grabs a copy of what the user is writing as she/he goes on?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean?

Sorry for maybe introducing confusion into the discussion, in my last post I pretended to refer to both cards when I mentioned that I had used them both with various laptops without any issue.

No problems. I usually like to ask for clarification if something isn't 100% clear to me.;)

Now that I have had some minutes to think about it, if I can install in this iBook something like Virtual Box, install & run a linux OS would it mean that the OS is also capable of booting/running the iBook or these are not necessarily implied?

If the iBooks hard drive is formatted into two partitions. And if OS X is installed on one partition...and Linux installed on the other parition. Then the iBook should be able to boot into either partition.

If you use Virtual Box for Linux...then all you would have to do is launch Virtual Box (with Linux installed within).

One problem that can make things a bit more of a challenge. If this computer is running a super old version of the Mac OS (I think that you mentioned OS 10.2)...it's very hard for many of us to remember what OS 10.2 is capable of.

It's possible that "the memory" (at least for me) may be thinking of what newer OS versions are capable of (10.4 or 10.5)...and may or may not be possible with OS 10.2. Just wanted you to keep that in mind in case some of the things I'm saying turn out to not be correct for OS 10.2.:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In other forums as you're writing down your post/reply-to be you can notice that around the rectangle you're using for enclosing the text for the post it suddenly appears somewhere handy a little message that in a few seconds dissipates stating that a copy of what you've written so far has been saved (draft saved). Ubuntu forums function like that, and it's not the only one. In fact, it's a rather old feature because I've known some forums doing this for years now. Think linuxquestions.org forum also has this feature, even before the Ubuntu site.

Think the idea behind all this is circumvent certain users' headaches as when the internet connection suddenly fails and other circumstances, too (like clicking in the wrong place).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In other forums as you're writing down your post/reply-to be you can notice that around the rectangle you're using for enclosing the text for the post it suddenly appears somewhere handy a little message that in a few seconds dissipates stating that a copy of what you've written so far has been saved (draft saved). Ubuntu forums function like that, and it's not the only one. In fact, it's a rather old feature because I've known some forums doing this for years now. Think linuxquestions.org forum also has this feature, even before the Ubuntu site.

Think the idea behind all this is circumvent certain users' headaches as when the internet connection suddenly fails and other circumstances, too (like clicking in the wrong place).

I belong to about 15-20 internet forums...and I don't think that I've noticed that feature in any of them.

I totally understand the usefulness of that feature!:) I'm not sure Mac-Forums has that. Believe me. If I'm in the process of writing a very long post...I copy it every so often just in case.

Or if it's stormy outside...I pray for no power loss. Unless I'm on a laptop computer. Then I still have the info...I just lose internet connection.;)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the past, whenever I knew that my post/reply was long or time consuming to gather all info & I've already started, I usually minimized the browser, opened a simple text editor, copied/pasted what I already had into the text editor, finish my post/repply there & then returned to the browser and copied/pasted the contents and click Post immediately. For sure, after making sure I was still logged in and my internet connection was working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.