How to increase volume on iPhone?

Reaction score
I have an old iPhone ... my wife's cast-off 5s (12.5.7). I realise this is pretty ancient but I don't use it for anything other than listening to the news and podcasts. But I'm a bit deaf and finding that I just cannot get it loud enough through the ear buds ... I have several: some with a jack and one with a plug that goes into the charging socket. I've noticed that with some of the headphones, the volume only goes up to 2/3 on the screen and after this there's a red line. Is there any way I can get the volume up any higher?

Also, when I download apps to my iPad, which is 16.3.1 (it's an 8th generation iPad), I get the apps on both devices ... but on the iPhone the icons are dark. I'm assuming that my old iPhone is just not able to use these dark ones ... this on account of its 12.5.7. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for comments ... M

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It is possible that there is a Safety level set for ear pods and headphones. I cannot remember when this was introduced and each iOS version had different settings. Do check Sound Settings just in case it has been limited in some way. As for the dark app icons it may be an indication that they are unable to run on that model iPhone and/or iOS. Do those dark icons actually work?

krs

Reaction score
If you can't increase the iPhone volume enough, then look for some high sensitivity earbuds.
Check the sensitivity of the earbuds you're using and compare that to the sensitivity of other earbuds that are available

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I've tried all the cable-connected ear buds that I have and none is loud enough.
However, I've found a pair of Bluetooth ear-pieces that I used some years ago and have now charged them up via the small blue box in which they came.
On the iPhone, they show up under 'My Devices' in 'Settings'/'Bluetooth' as 'Push'.
When I press the buttons on the ear-pieces, I hear "power on" and "power off".
When I tried them just now, one connected but the other did not.
In 'My Devices' I see two 'Push' indications (one was already there but the second is a new one).
I see "forget this device' on the iPhone ... should I select "forget", get rid of them both and start again?
But I don't want the iPhone to permanently forget them.
Comments appreciated.
M

OP
M
Reaction score
Further to the above ... I've just made sure that the ear-pieces are not connected to the Mac. Now one of them is working with the iPhone. But do you have to connect them one at a time? When both are working, will 'Connected' show twice on the iPhone? One for each of the two ear-pieces.

Reaction score
There is a setting that should be used to protect your hearing from excessive volume levels.
To disable this feature go to
Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Headphone Safety > Reduce Sound Levels > OFF

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Shazaam for your post ... not sure whether it's because my old iPhone is different ... but under "Sounds", all I see are ringtones, and alerts. Nothing about audio. This one is a 5s and IOS is 12.5.7. I've got the Bluetooth earbuds working. But quite honestly, when I'm listening in bed, it's easier with conventional, corded earbuds. If only I could get the volume up a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
But quite honestly, when I'm listening in bed, it's easier with conventional, corded earbuds. If only I could get the volume up a bit.

Well then, what about using a corded earbuds amplifier???

Maybe any of these:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=corded+earbuds+amplifier&crid=36RVJRU6F84O0&sprefix=corded+earbuds+amplifier,aps,312&ref=nb_sb_noss&tag=macforums0e4-20

Should be lots of room on your bed to support anything you need... ;)

Years ago when Radio Shack was operating here in Canada, they used to sell a small battery-operated amplifier which might work as well if they still sell them where you live/

- Patrick
=======

OP
M
Reaction score
OK and thanks to everyone for the tips ... will investigate the little amp.
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Well then, what about using a corded earbuds amplifier???

Maybe any of these:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=corded+earbuds+amplifier&crid=36RVJRU6F84O0&sprefix=corded+earbuds+amplifier,aps,312&ref=nb_sb_noss&tag=macforums0e4-20

Should be lots of room on your bed to support anything you need... ;)

Years ago when Radio Shack was operating here in Canada, they used to sell a small battery-operated amplifier which might work as well if they still sell them where you live/

- Patrick
=======

I was going to suggest something along the lines of a headphone amp also. Glad to see they make earbud-sized versions. One advantage to going this route is that the sounds won’t just be “louder”. It should be clearer with more fidelity. Couple this with a high quality set of corded earphones and they should sound fantastic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OK and thanks to everyone for the tips ... will investigate the little amp.
M

I don't know if you shop online at any of the Asian/Chinese stores, but they tend to like that sort of stuff and often have quite a selection.

I just did a very quick search:

I've generally had good luck shopping there, but delivery can take a few weeks, but it's also usually very cheap for small devices.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.