How to Hide Mail when mac is started?

Reaction score
Hi guys. First of all, I am new to mac. Had to switch from pc cause Of too many hardware freezes. The question I have, is there a way to have Mail Open at Login, but not display the mail screen when mac os starts? When I choose hidden in the account login section, it still shows up when mac starts. I just like to be able to start mail with mac and just see how many mails i got (just shows # of mail icon but not show mail screen)

Anyway, thanks. I am using Leopard 10.5.2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
As an alternative you could get a menu bar mail checker app - if you've got gmail, use the gmail notifier or one of the other available apps
Do a search or browse through on versiontracker.com.
I found serveral different apps that check mail and have a notification in the menu bar - some free, some not.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Set Mail to start up as a Login Item under System Preferences => Accounts and then check the box next to it to hide it after launch:

2008-04-26_1324.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Set Mail to start up as a Login Item under System Preferences => Accounts and then check the box next to it to hide it after launch:

...When I choose hidden in the account login section, it still shows up when mac starts....

I don't know what is going on, checking that should do the trick... Why don't you check it a second time to make sure it's checked...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
One of the things I like about Eudora was that it remembered its last state when it was launched. Meaning, if you had closed all of the windows before you quit it the last time, it would open up, check your mail, and (if you hadn't gotten any new mail) then sit quietly.

It would only open a new window when you got new mail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.