how to get 10.3's spotlight in 10.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
There is one little thing I hate about 10.4 It's really annnoying me. Back in 10.3 I liked the UI and design of the spotlight thing. It's the finder search thingy I think. And the one for 10.4 in my opinion is really a dissapointment, harder to use and ugly.

Is there any way to get something that looks and runs like the old 10.3 spotlight but have it in 10.4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
10.3 didn't have Spotlight, it had Finder's "Find" feature.

Every Finder window can have a Search bar, but it's going to use the new Spotlight index in Tiger no matter what, it's the new tech. If you don't have a search bar in your Finder window, right-click the top of any Finder window and choose "Customize toolbar". Drag the Search bar onto the window.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Thanks for the info. Really helpful.

But what I'm really after is when you go to the finder and hit the file menu and choose find. That thing. That "find feature". I just found the old one really nice and the current one ugly and not so nice.

But as you say I think I'm stuck with the new one. It's not that big a concern though. Just ne nitpicking on an otherwise great OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.