How to fix GPS issues in 2.0.1

Reaction score
A few people have mentioned that they are having issues with GPS after updating to 2.0.1 - here is a temporary fix until 2.0.2 comes out:

1) Disable 3G
2) Turn your iPhone off and on again
3) Turn it back on again
4) Open up Maps and hit the button
5) Turn 3G back on again

I'm not sure if this will need to be done every time (I haven't had a chance to extensively test) and I'm not 100% sure on why it works but it does; but until 2.0.2 comes out to fix this issue (it worked fine in 2.0.0) I thought this might be a useful tip :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" Alu, Time Capsule, iPhone
well, I've tried the gps the way you described it, only, it appears that it has to be done every time; when 3G is enabled, gps will not show my location

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I haven't had to do that and my GPS works just fine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Mine works fine too. Never seen this problem. In fact, I discovered that my iPhone GPS lags a bit less than my TomTom GPS unit does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
A lot of people were reporting this issue on the O2 customer forums - doing this just once appears to fix it for those experiencing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like maybe it's an O2 thing then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Sounds like maybe it's an O2 thing then.
I don't think so...

I have had GPS issues since upgrading to 2.0.1... Sometimes when I press the locate button on google maps, it just stays spinning and nothing happens... Restarting does not even fix it...

In order to get it working again, I have to turn off 3G and location services, restart, and then turn back on 3G and location services...

This has only happened to me two time though, so I am not that worried about it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I
I have had GPS issues since upgrading to 2.0.1... Sometimes when I press the locate button on google maps, it just stays spinning and nothing happens... Restarting does not even fix it...

I've had that happen, but it was because I was inside of a building. GPS has to be able to see the satellites to get a fix. It's never happened outside. I'll get the spinning circle and depending if I am on my wireless network or the AT&T network it will only give me a "best guess" location for where I am.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've tried gps again, but now outdoors, and it found my location pretty accurate and within a minute of search :)
so to conclude, gps will only work (in my case) only outdoors, not indoors

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
GPS in general doesn't work indoors. It's not like cell service that is supposed to work everywhere. The GPS receiver has to be able to see the satellites, if it can't you get no signal, period. My TomTom GPS unit doesn't work in my garage or my house either. Once I take it outside it works fine.

It's not you or your phone, it's just how the current GPS system is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
Well if I'm not mistaken, doesn't it use detect your present by drawing sort-of "invisible spheres" around 3 GPS satellites and their point of intersection is where you are? Which would not mean needing to "see" you per se?
(I'm by no means an expert that was a genuine question)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It uses cell phone triangulation to get a rough estimate of where you are, and then uses the GPS satellite to get a final lock on your position.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I've had that happen, but it was because I was inside of a building. GPS has to be able to see the satellites to get a fix. It's never happened outside. I'll get the spinning circle and depending if I am on my wireless network or the AT&T network it will only give me a "best guess" location for where I am.
When I had my problem I was standing outside with a clear view of the sky... The phone did not even display my approximate location through triangulation.... Weird.
However, its working now with no problems...
And to compare, when my GPS works (which it usually does), it will work inside my house as long as a window is nearby. I find this extremely surprising... I did not think the iPhones GPS would be this good...
I have had hand-held GPS units in the past, and in order to get a lock, I had to stand in an area with a perfectly clear view of the sky for about 5 minutes... I think the rumors of the iPhone's GPS antenna being small have been proved wrong...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well if I'm not mistaken, doesn't it use detect your present by drawing sort-of "invisible spheres" around 3 GPS satellites and their point of intersection is where you are? Which would not mean needing to "see" you per se?
(I'm by no means an expert that was a genuine question)
yes, you are right, GPS is based on a system of 24 satellites orbiting the earth at altitude of 20,187 kilometres, every 12 hours in six orbital planes inclined 55 degrees to the eqator, and they are high enough that they can avoid the problems encountered by land based systems

but some problems may occur when the satellite signal does not go directly to the receiver, but may be reflected or bounced around. Modern sreceivers use signal processing and special antennae to minimise the problem, but a small amount of uncertainty to the measurements must exist. And now, the question is what kind of a reciever is built within the 3G iphone ?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just tried using the GPS indoors and it found me just fine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mine still won't work indoors

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine will work if I am near a window, otherwise it just uses tower triangulation. My TomTom will work in the same spots. Go away from a window and ask it again and you won't be nearly as lucky.

The issue that I have with the iPonee GPS is updates. Most GPS receivers have to get what is called "Ephemeris" data that tells them where the GPS birds are and will be over a period of time (The DOD and NASA use the same thing for other satellites as well). My TomTom gets them every few days and they are good for about 7 days. I am wondering how the iPhone does this or if it does it at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.