how to expand harddrive

I

init4damoney

I have an ibook with a 9GB harddrive os9 and osx10.2.8 installed on the drive.
iam running out of room and would like to ghost or copy the current setup onto a larger drive. How can i do this, eg in Windows you can use ghost and ghost from one drive to other. How can this be done on a mac.
Any suggestions on how best to do this?
Thank you

OP
I

init4damoney

Do you know of any website that explains how you actually do it.
Eg pull hdd out oh ibook, connect to PC? slave the new drive to the primary drive?
or do you create image on your current drive and than copy it across somehow?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well opening up the ibook would be difficult, so your best bet would be to force the ibook into firewire disc mode (hold down t or f whilst booting) and then access your files from another mac or pc.

If you want to copy the stuff using a pc, you'll need a program like macopener to access the HFs+ harddrive...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Your best solution would be to get a firewire (provided you have firewire) drive enclosure and put the size of drive that you want in it (or spend more cash and get it out of the box the way you want it). Then, like rman suggested, get Carbon Copy Cloner and clone the contents of your iBook drive to the firewire drive.

If you don't have firewire you would have to go with a usb

OP
O

octohunter

I use a firewire 60GB external drive and it works very well. If you have a firewire port I strongly suggest getting one.

I don't use cloner. Instead I just backup the files I want. It's faster and I feel there's no need to backup the OS and so on. That seems to be a Windows phenomenon, possibly due to people's distrust of their entire system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
If you have a lot of activity against a drive then it would be wise to backup the entire drive. If you use a drive enough, it WILL fail!
A 60gb drive is rather small, get the biggest one that you can afford.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
"If you have a lot of activity against a drive then it would be wise to backup the entire drive. If you use a drive enough, it WILL fail!"

But he doesn't NEED everything on the drive does he? That's what he was saying:
If my drive fails today, I put in a new one, install panther and then restore mypersonal files & extra apps from my backup drive.

Why backup several GB's of OS that are on your install cd's anyway?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
But he doesn't NEED everything on the drive does he? That's what he was saying:
If my drive fails today, I put in a new one, install panther and then restore mypersonal files & extra apps from my backup drive.

Why backup several GB's of OS that are on your install cd's anyway?

I doubt very much that your install cd's + "your personal files and extra applications" is a mirror of your hard drive. Your "restore" would take much longer and (most likely) be less accurate then mine. Yours requires installs, mine is "writes" to the hard drive. You have to babysit yours, I start mine and leave. Hard drive space is cheap. I choose to let Carbon Copy Cloner do the work for me.

It seems that you've never lost a hard drive. Once you have, you will be a convert.

I'm glad that we have an application that takes the work out of backing up a system. Before Carbon Copy Cloner it was that hit and miss thing:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.