Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
Hello to all,
Is it possible to keep a downloaded YouTube video on my Mac. If so,
how do I do it? Thanks.

Paul

yesss, but i dont know if it is legal or not, so if not MODS please delete this thread or at least post, thanks.

first go to the youtube video you wish to save and copy the URL for that video and open youtubex.com in a new tab/window and paste the URL in the download link. After downloading use a video conversion tool, i use visualhub, to convert it to .mp4 or whatever format you want...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
What browser are you using?

With Firefox, you can install extensions that do this for you. Click on Tools --> Add Ons --> Extensions. Look for a link at the bottom of the window that pops up that says "Get More Extensions". Then browse through the page that opens up, there should be 3 or 4 extensions that let you download YouTube videos.

I personally use something called VideoDownloader 1.1.1 and it works great.

Keep in mind that YouTube videos will be saved in .flv format. So you'll either need a .flv file player (easily found via Google) or a program to convert .flv files into another format, such as .avi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
"Download Helper" for firefox works as well. Also, it can bulk download all media in a page, or links to media. And it's configurable to types (jpg, gif).... lots of other yummy settings too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I use PodTube. It costs $5, but all you need to do is click one button and it downloads and converts the YouTube video for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
You can go to www.keepvid.com and save any video, regardless of your browser. FireFox was mentioned...but if you use Safari, you can go to: Window>Activity...and you'll see the file for the video. Just double click on it and it will save to the desktop.

As a reverse of things...does anyone know an FLV encoder for OSX? I post videos on youtube and I experience issues if I don't upload them in FLV format. I have an encoder for my PC, but can't find any for the Mac, any suggestions?

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM
I use flash video downloader. I got it from freemacware.com. It is nice because it can download a batch of videos simultaneously.

Edit: You can watch .flv files if you have the right codecs. If you download the Perian codec pack it allows .flv playback via quicktime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I think FFmpegX will convert to FLV for you

Reaction score
It's very simple, you can go with safari to the activity window (option-comand-A) and select the video, it'a the bigest archive or if you are downloading the video, the activity isn't complete. Then you copy the archive and then you paste in the downloads window (option-comand-L) and the video starts downloading, of course that you need a conversion for the format of the video.

Sorry for my bad english, long time without writing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
I have something simpler and easier. And it doesn't require anything but an internet connection and a browser.

Just go to http://www.vixy.net and copy the URL of the YouTube video that you want. Then paste it. Select the kind of video format you want it to be converted to. There's AVI, MOV, MP3(audio only), etc. Wait for it to finish converting then it will automatically make your browser download the converted video.

Enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
Do what Mr. T said, in safari, go to the youtube page with the video you want, and go Window>Activity then find the bigest file in the list and double click it and it will download to your desktop. no programs or other sites needed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
Do what Mr. T said, in safari, go to the youtube page with the video you want, and go Window>Activity then find the bigest file in the list and double click it and it will download to your desktop. no programs or other sites needed

Hmm, yeah.. that is if you would like to keep the FLV file. If you would want it converted, you'd need a 3rd Party App or you can go to http://www.vixy.net

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
I think MySpace prevents you from ripping videos. You can do it with Safari activity monitor with YouTube but not MySpace.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.