how to control bluetooth on macbook pro

Reaction score
Actually the title I wrote is not accurate but I can't seem to edit the title. It should say "When to control bluetooth..." Anyway. I was just browsing through the info in the System Profiler, and when I clicked on Bluetooth it says that bluetooth is on, enabled, discoverable and that serial port 1 is open and requires no authorization. I don't use any bluetooth devices currently. This sounds to me like a security flaw if i were to use my macbook pro in a coffee shop for example. Is there some reason that bluetooth is on? Is there any reason to leave it on? I just went and turned it off and also turned off serial port 1 under the advanced tab. Any reason this is not wise? thanks.

C

chas_m

If you're not using Bluetooth for anything, then turning it off was a good idea. Saves battery.

The chances of it being used as a security flaw are phenomenally low, but simply turning it off eliminated any possibility of an issue there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.