How to connect airport time capsule to hotel wifi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Air 1.3GHz i5/4GB DDR3/256 flash storage
So I have a 2013 2TB airport time capsule. I'm currently staying in a hotel and they just switched to wifi only meaning I cannot use an ethernet cable to connect the time capsule to and then connect via it from my devices. I am trying to find out if or how to work around this. I've googled it but yet to find an answer that was directly related to this.

Thank you

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Depends on their network.

If their wifi requires requires a login via a web page or has a web page where you need to agree to their terms/conditions, you're probably not going to connect to it with the TC nor likely any router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
So I have a 2013 2TB airport time capsule. I'm currently staying in a hotel and they just switched to wifi only meaning I cannot use an ethernet cable to connect the time capsule to and then connect via it from my devices.....

Hello - just curious what you need to accomplish by using an Apple TC while traveling? My thoughts: 1) Need to setup a Wi-Fi network for multiple devices (e.g. laptop, iPads, etc.); 2) Wanting more security; and/or 3) Needing the backup on the TC?

If backup is not an important issue, then there are plenty of 'travel routers' that might be a better option, e.g. I have the Zuni Travel Router reviewed by PC Mag in the link - may be a newer model? But, the router can use a cabled ethernet connection or be setup as a 'wireless' hot spot - just a thought. Dave :)

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not traveling I'm staying in one till our house is ready. Initially the hotel used a wired connection so it was perfect but they recently switched to a wifi only. The reason I used the TC is for backups as I am a student as well as it just being easier than using my lacie external HD to backup to. I do need to set it up for my macbook, nexus 7, samsung tab s, my note 4 and my fiancees iphone 6 as well as I do not want my devices on an open wifi network. I do not use open networks at places such as starbucks.

Also I had looked into a travel charger but the little I saw on them I was under the impression it still needed an ethernet connection. I'll check out thr zuni travel router. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I'm not traveling I'm staying in one till our house is ready. Initially the hotel used a wired connection so it was perfect but they recently switched to a wifi only. The reason I used the TC is for backups as I am a student as well as it just being easier than using my lacie external HD to backup to. I do need to set it up for my macbook, nexus 7, samsung tab s, my note 4 and my fiancees iphone 6 as well as I do not want my devices on an open wifi network. I do not use open networks at places such as starbucks.

Also I had looked into a travel charger but the little I saw on them I was under the impression it still needed an ethernet connection. I'll check out thr zuni travel router. Thanks

Thanks for the additional information - understand your situation much better - the Zuni travel router that I own can setup a 'secure' wireless hotspot - now I've never tested that aspect nor tried multiple Wi-Fi devices to guarantee whether the device operates satisfactorily in that mode. Plus, my model has been D/C - there are many other choices these days (just do a search on Amazon for 'portable travel router', if interested) - let us know your solution, which might help others. Dave :)

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the additional information - understand your situation much better - the Zuni travel router that I own can setup a 'secure' wireless hotspot - now I've never tested that aspect nor tried multiple Wi-Fi devices to guarantee whether the device operates satisfactorily in that mode. Plus, my model has been D/C - there are many other choices these days (just do a search on Amazon for 'portable travel router', if interested) - let us know your solution, which might help others. Dave :)

I looked on amazon and a few other places and none had it available, however I did find one other device like it the Netgear Trek N300 that also supports wifi networks for a similar price. I also forgot to mention I needed the TC to use my chromecast and connect my wfi enabled blue ray player.

It should arrive saturday so I'll report back on how the setup is and the connection strength etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.