How to clean fingerprints on MacBook keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
What’s the best way to clean fingerprints off a MacBook keyboard? Model: Late 2013.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
YouTube

For cleaning my Apple keyboards, I just use a soft cloth with some isopropyl alcohol or glass window cleaner applied to the cloth, and then wipe over the keyboard.

I fold the dampened cloth over a squared off narrow tongue type depressor to clean the edges and between the keys.

It works well.

I would avoid using ammonia or any other harsh solvents or abrasive products.

Just ask google if you like... :D

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
One drop of water on a dry microfibre cloth is all you need. Allow it to soak in a little and use that damp spot to wipe over the surfaces.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I use q-tips, with isopropyl alcohol.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just a bit of warning:

All the methods above will work. But do NOT let any liquid or whatever solvent you decide to use to get down beneath the keys or you will need more than a cleaning of the keyboard.

Lots of horror stories are abound on the net about folks who decided to clean their keyboards. So take care you do not ruin your MacBook Pro in the process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lots of horror stories are abound on the net about folks who decided to clean their keyboards. So take care you do not ruin your MacBook Pro in the process.

At least the method of putting it into the dishwasher to clean it was not mentioned. :D

- Patrick
======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Do you really mean keyboard and not the screen? The keyboard is meant to be touched all the time, so it's silly not to expect it not have fingerprints. Additionally, the plastic barely shows any of it anyway. All of the cleaning solutions provided thus far are to remove dirt and other stuff from the keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you really mean keyboard and not the screen? The keyboard is meant to be touched all the time, so it's silly not to expect it not have fingerprints.

Good point Ashwin.

Cleaning the screens on our iDevices, we use those small dampened wipes in the foil pouch that are usually meant to be used on prescription glasses.

They are completely safe with any anti-glare products or coatings used on the screens.

- Patrick
======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Good point Ashwin.

Cleaning the screens on our iDevices, we use those small dampened wipes in the foil pouch that are usually meant to be used on prescription glasses.

They are completely safe with any anti-glare products or coatings used on the screens.

- Patrick
======

Patrick, yup I have a handful of those that I use and of course try VERY hard not to touch my screens to prevent needing anything. But when that eventually fails, I've been using Screenmom to clean it up and it works really well. Used it on my computers, phones and TV without any issues.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
At least the method of putting it into the dishwasher to clean it was not mentioned. :D - Patrick
======

Hey Patrick:

That's how they cleaned those old IBM noisy metal keyboards when they and the famous IBM PS2 machines were popular. After drying them off, they kept right on trucking! :wink

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.