how to change "connected as" default name

Reaction score
i have an imac & a macbook on my network. when I'm on my imac & i click on the sidebar to connect to my macbook, the same "connected as" name always comes up. i don't remember where this name came from (it's actually my mobileme email address) it's not a name i have listed under users who can share on my macbook. after connecting i have do disconnect then quickly click connect so i can enter in the username i want to use, if i don't then it automatically connects back under the name i don't want. i just want to reset the default "connect as" i guess I'm trying to say. i don't have this problem when connecting from my MacBook

help would be appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Click Disconnect in the upper right. Stay there with the remote system still highlighted/selected in the left column and click on "Connect As" in the upper right. You should be able to fill in the appropriate information in the window that appears. You may choose the check "Remember this password in my keychain" if you wish to retain the authentication.

OP
S
Reaction score
that's exactly what i did, but everytime i disconnect, when i reconnect it always defaults to the name i don't want to use

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Try going into your keychain (In Applications > Utilities) and deleting any references to the remote system's name in there. That should clean out the credentials so you can re-enter them.

OP
S
Reaction score
i tried that & deleted several items, could you maybe tell me specifically what it would look like (the keychain item)

Reaction score
bump

I have a very similar issue and trying to find the solution has been difficult. Any luck?

My problem is yours in reverse. Finder is connecting as a registered user by default, but I want it to connect with my mobile me account (for Back to My Mac). For some reason, when it connects with a registered user, it takes around 30 seconds to display the shared drives, but if I click Disconnect, then Connect As and use my MobileMe credentials, the shared drives appear within 2-3 seconds. So there is a workaround in that I can always click disconnect, then reconnect, but I shouldn't have to do this. Also, I can get around that by typing Command+K and manually entering the IP of the machine I want, but again, I'd like to just be able to click the icon for my machine and instantly see my drives.

I had already tried deleting the login data from the Keychain, but all that did was cause the default login to fail b/c there was no longer a password available. What I need is a way to make it forget that that particular user name is an option to connect.

Anyway, any insight anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. The two machines I'm using are a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro. The Mac Pro connects to the laptop just fine (automatically connected using MobileMe the first time I tried), but the MacBook Pro is the one with issues connecting to the tower.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.